Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1531 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
Lots of tuna schooling here, can’t get the right lure for them to attack.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,188 Posts
Lots of tuna schooling here, can’t get the right lure for them to attack.
Bugger but they are very timid also.

Foo

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,144 Posts
These in the 95 and 125 did the damage on the Tuna down here this season.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
Very small baitfish, when the water cools a bit more bigger tuna come in, now they will smash any lure.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
Getting closer to catching the elusive fish, got bitten off by a Spaniard yesterday. Now in the process of manufacturing a live bait tank. Purchased a submersible bilge pump for $17 and am mounting it on the back of the boat and plumbing it into a garbage bin that will have an outlet draining back to the ocean.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,469
Getting closer to catching the elusive fish, got bitten off by a Spaniard yesterday. Now in the process of manufacturing a live bait tank. Purchased a submersible bilge pump for $17 and am mounting it on the back of the boat and plumbing it into a garbage bin that will have an outlet draining back to the ocean.
For Spaniards I use 500mm of 60lb single strand wire and twist attachment to hooks and swivel for both live and dead bait. I don't troll all that much, I prefer floating using a balloon 1/4 filled with water (make it stable in its floating characteristics and about 6' from balloon to bait), no way you can get bitten off and they don't detect the wire as some fish do. For dead bait I use 3 ganged 9/0 hooks and for live I use 1 x 9/0, you probably already know this but where you place the hook in a livey controls the depth it swims at, this can be a handy tool.
Good luck, hope you get it next time.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,472
Anyone used these jigs? They were given to me years ago but have never used them, they weigh 40g each and have a body length is 65mm, I was going to take them on my (upcoming) Swains Trip to jig for Coral Trout and Reds, but Covid 19 killed that project. I like the way you can change the angle of the jig action and I would change the trebles to single staunch hooks.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,144 Posts
Those style of blades are better suited to trolling/casting then jigging but will work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,474
Those style of blades are better suited to trolling/casting then jigging but will work.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Interesting, a bit heavy for my liking re casting with light gear (40g), not sure what you would be targeting and the action wouldn't be all that good for trolling considering where the line is attached, would need to be a very slow troll one would think.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
Went out this morning to test our new live bait tank we built. Worked perfectly, started to put some nice sized pike in it, had some baits out. Mates rod went off, wind in my livie and it gets chopped in half, grab his other rod and it got hit but missed it. Nice metre bronzie in the boat. Then the bait pump ceases to function, could only check the fuse and switch, both ok. While I’m doing the checking, he gets another hook up, a bronzie but a bit bigger. Wind gets up so we call it a day and go home. First thing to check is the bait pump, (using a small 12v battery, not the start battery) put another battery on the pump, bingo, it works. Big lesson learned, charge the damn battery Scott, and bring a second one.
Flake for tea tonight.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
You and batteries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My thoughts exactly, except I don’t own these batteries. He had a 240v power pack that didn’t work so he took the three lead acid batteries out of it, they were probably dead flat, used my two chargers to get some life into them, he now uses a solar panel to charge them. This one was the one we’d been using to get everything working, so it probably was down anyway, we’ll take two out next time.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
Alarm set for 5am to be on the water by 6.15am, it’ll be punching room only at the ramp tomorrow. The things one does for pleasure.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,479
I'm a week day only fisherman, there can be a lot of morons at boat ramps on the weekend..............

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
1461 - 1480 of 1531 Posts