Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,262 Posts
GUEY... Joke is lost on you with that pic... :LOL:

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
We used to catch big numbers of them, a lot smaller though in the Hume Weir, when I was a school kid. Good eating, too.

Reactions: Foo

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
Got a nice Mac tuna today. Let it go, not good eating and already have some for bait.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
Looks like we won’t be going out for a while, a little leak in the motor, noticed it yesterday, had a talk to the mechanic, he thinks it might be a split hose, hope so as that’s the cheapest option. Not talking it out with the leak. Booked in next Thursday, same day I’m booked in for first treatment.
0A848DF5-0FC3-45A3-87AC-EADCD93970CC.jpeg
F8DD68EB-22E3-425E-8BD4-A2036BFDE8DF.jpeg
0A848DF5-0FC3-45A3-87AC-EADCD93970CC.jpeg
F8DD68EB-22E3-425E-8BD4-A2036BFDE8DF.jpeg

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,829 ·
The last big (or any) fishing trip for me was 2018, currently getting ready for my upcoming outing in May with a few mates, there will be the usual Sweetlip, Trout, Emperor, Tuskers, etc, but the Spaniards will be there as well (I'm the only one that chases Spaniards) and I might have a bit of fun with a GT or two, taking along my GT Special rod and a few big poppers to tease them with. Had some issues finding big live bait hooks, seems they are in short supply at the moment. C'mon May.................
Memories

·
Registered
nissan
1,438 Posts
The last big (or any) fishing trip for me was 2018, currently getting ready for my upcoming outing in May with a few mates, there will be the usual Sweetlip, Trout, Emperor, Tuskers, etc, but the Spaniards will be there as well (I'm the only one that chases Spaniards) and I might have a bit of fun with a GT or two, taking along my GT Special rod and a few big poppers to tease them with. Had some issues finding big live bait hooks, seems they are in short supply at the moment. C'mon May.................
Memories

Welcome back

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
The repairs to the motor became quite expensive, corrosion had set in, not my fault, just age (20 year old motor). The boat will shortly be wearing a new 70hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Superannuation is going to take a hit. Better for me to spend it now than croak had have someone else fritter it away. 😉

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,261 Posts
The repairs to the motor became quite expensive, corrosion had set in, not my fault, just age (20 year old motor). The boat will shortly be wearing a new 70hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Superannuation is going to take a hit. Better for me to spend it now than croak had have someone else fritter it away. 😉
I had that problem with 60hp Yamaha that was on Dad's boat, that I bought from him. I was out in the bay and suddenly lost power and water started spurting the side of the block. :eek: When I spoke to a marine engineer, he said the problem was with inconsistent ratio of the Japanese alloy, unlike American alloy that can be easily rewelded. ;)

Foo

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
Apparently that problem has been fixed, was talking to the mechanic and he said the biggest problem the the Yammies these days is that they are ‘boringly reliable’, they get very few in to repair. He says that all modern outboards are good these days, if they weren’t the company would go bust. I went on his recommendation, there is usually a waiting list but the place up the road had one in so I succumbed and bought it. It’s bigger in power, lighter in weight and will get better fuel economy.
Apparently, the fish are only being caught by people in yamaha powered boats. 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,262 Posts
You can't beat a Yamaha outboard!

Reactions: rgren2

·
Registered
nissan
581 Posts
Apparently that problem has been fixed, was talking to the mechanic and he said the biggest problem the the Yammies these days is that they are ‘boringly reliable’, they get very few in to repair. He says that all modern outboards are good these days, if they weren’t the company would go bust. I went on his recommendation, there is usually a waiting list but the place up the road had one in so I succumbed and bought it. It’s bigger in power, lighter in weight and will get better fuel economy.
Apparently, the fish are only being caught by people in yamaha powered boats. 🤣🤣🤣

Love my 60hp Yamaha. You will love the quietness of the engine, can hardly hear them running. Just wish it was another 10hp.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
Love my 60hp Yamaha. You will love the quietness of the engine, can hardly hear them running. Just wish it was another 10hp.
The 70 was an extra $1400 and the boat can take up to 75 hp, be some quicker trips to Platypus Bay now. 😁🎣

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,261 Posts
The 70 was an extra $1400 and the boat can take up to 75 hp, be some quicker trips to Platypus Bay now. 😁🎣
You'll get that back in fuel economy, eventually. 😁

Foo

Reactions: rgren2

·
Registered
nissan
581 Posts
Only issue I have and still not sure what best practise it, the flushing of engine. Meant to take plastic fitting off side of engine attach water hose and flush with engine stopped. The fittings seem cheap quality and made of plastic. Don’t reckon they will last long term. Also a PIA as I use boat every morning before work when I’m crayfishing and trying to get it done quickly before I go to work. I use a set off muffs and run engine, my theory is follows the same path as sea water. Can let engine run while I’m doing something else. Had to buy muffs with dual water inlets as won’t suck the water through with single sided ones.

Be interesting to hear what your dealer recommends.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,246 Posts
I’ll go and ask the dealer as atm I just use the one side inlet muff.🤔

Reactions: GeroGU
1821 - 1840 of 1862 Posts