Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a DIY job to install the Long Range main tank? ARB say three hours....can I do it at home with a single pair of hands?

I also have a new Kaymar twin swing out bumper/carrier to put on...should I fit the tank first and then the bumper?

Thx.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Remove old bumper, fix new LR tank then new bumper. It really makes no difference but that way you get more room. For the LR you can do on your drive way but make sure you have a extra trolley jack with a wide base plate. If you need more clearance park patrol rear wheels on hard wood wheel pads.

Also when doing it have fire extinguisher handy and anyone who can help on jack. I always have second person with me just jack the tank up and move it around. Forget 3 hrs you be more like 5 plus with out a post lift. Don't forget to remove your battery and run a earth wire from car chassis to garden just a extra ground point.

Don't use a trolley on ground. Use cardboard and find something to support your head. It's a real stress position looking up all the time. Enjoy and good luck.

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
This week my ARB rear bar is being replaced with a Kaymar. My long ranger tank is also being replaced as well. My understanding is the rear bar has to come off to replace the tank. So I would play safe and do the tank before installing the Kaymar.
Andrew.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thx for the advice. I have a set of inspection ramps that will help give the clearance etc.

I'm really not looking forward to it though...the temperature in Dubai is in the mid 40's and humidity up to around 85%...hence I don't want to be hanging around!

Not related....Is there an inspection plate in the floor of a Patrol to access the fuel pump?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Thx for the advice. I have a set of inspection ramps that will help give the clearance etc.

I'm really not looking forward to it though...the temperature in Dubai is in the mid 40's and humidity up to around 85%...hence I don't want to be hanging around!

Not related....Is there an inspection plate in the floor of a Patrol to access the fuel pump?
It is related, actually. Assuming the set up is the same for both the GQ and GU, under the carpet in the rear section is a plate held down by ?4 screws. Under that plate you'll find the fuel lines and fuel gauge connections. These will have to be undone before you can remove the old (and empty, hopefully) tank. Plug the fuel lines so they don't get dirt in them. I think they are different diameters, from memory, so you won't have to mark them.

I assume you've got the new tank already, so you will have seen the removable plate in the top of the tank with the fuel pipes and fuel gauge connections. It may be that the pipes are pointing in a different direction to the original. Check that - the LR tank I put into my GQ had that and I had to panel beat the floor slightly to provide enough room for the hoses - and I think, from memory, I had to lengthen the hoses. It might be worthwhile changing the hoses and clamps while you're in there. Hopefully you'll never see the top of your tank again.:cool:

It'd be also worthwhile cleaning the fuel gauge connections and filling them with dielectric grease.

Before you disconnect the fuel filler pipe, get it as clean as possible on the outside. It'll be a crappy job but better than dirt in the tank.

Good luck and have fun ;)

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx...the brand new LR tank should arrive today or tomorrow.....along with a set of storage drawers from Black Widow.
Reading your post I should leave the installation of the drawers until last then.

I ordered a workshop manual from SAGIN Australia 3 weeks ago...it still hasn't arrived :-( and would be really useful when doing such jobs for the first time.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
is your manual or auto 5 spd?

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Thx...the brand new LR tank should arrive today or tomorrow.....along with a set of storage drawers from Black Widow.
Reading your post I should leave the installation of the drawers until last then.

I ordered a workshop manual from SAGIN Australia 3 weeks ago...it still hasn't arrived :-( and would be really useful when doing such jobs for the first time.
For sure, Streaky. I'd wait until you've installed the tank, filled it to the brim and taken it for a good drive. Then have a look for leaks, then install your drawers.

You're gonna be busy, mate. And in 85% humidity, too. Phew...

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leaks!! Leaks!!...better not leak! I just paid a bl**dy fortune for the Long Ranger tank from Oz to Dubai...if it leaks there will be hell to pay!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Leaks!! Leaks!!...better not leak! I just paid a bl**dy fortune for the Long Ranger tank from Oz to Dubai...if it leaks there will be hell to pay!
I meant from your install - loose clamps, hoses or whatever :naughty:

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
As noted above all quite easy etc, just make sure you empty your old one all the way if possible, even 10L in it will make it a dog to lift once out etc

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a Land Rover guy for the past 20 years and can remove a Discovery fuel tank with my eye's closed....but I've only have this Patrol for two weeks and wouldn't know where to start when taking the old tank out.
I did a search for pointers or instructions but drew a blank. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to get started? Any panels or hidden screws to look out for?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Download the workshop manual its posted here.

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
1- Remove panel from under rear cargo area
2- From this boot panel, disconnect, electrics, pipes etc. Also remove filler panel from wheel arch
3- undo bolts at front and rear of tank
4- Drops out

BUT - It really is that easy but as all cars, space issues, rusty bolts, dirt etc, all slow you down.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Cheers...I ordered a workshop manual three weeks ago.....still not arrived :-(
You can download it on here. I shall have a look for the link as there are a few some better then others.

I just ordered a LR tank today. I've gone for extra large one as custom build from LR. It hangs down about a extra 2" above the normal main tank but thats no issue.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Streaky did you tell them that yours has rear air con. Why is LR asking about rear air con unit is fitted to the Patrol. Safari also made the tanks and so BSR in dubai back in 98.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts