Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I am waiting on a low coolant alarm,ATM. I need to cut the top radiator hose to fit an adaptor, which doesnt come with the kit. It needs to be plastic, though-not metal. Any suggestions on what I could use/ I like to do stuff myself.( Have to!!) But yeah- has to be strong enough to withstand water pressure,heat and hose clamps. Imagining a piece of STRONG poly pipe. Is there such a thing?

Thanks fellas
Mark

·
Registered
nissan gu 4.2tdi 2003
440 Posts
Is it actually a sensor or just a piece of stainless steel? I have a ford sensor fitted to a spare 1/8"BSP port in my 4.2TDi, it's actually an air bleed port in the thermostat housing top. It is basically a plastic housing with a piece of stainless steel moulded in the middle of it., No cutting hoses! Ford sensor cost about $30. Michael

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Micheal,
this is what it is. AFAIK, only one wire goes to the water.

LOW Coolant Level Alarm 12V | eBay

Im interested about what you've done. Sounds like it might be a better alternative. But not sure yet. I'll have a look at mine TMZ. Mine also has an air bleed, at the top of the inlet manifold (EFI). The only problem i can think of, is that the instructions say it cant be earthed. Would it be possible to get a part number-or even better- a photo -of your sensor install?

Mark

·
Registered
nissan gu 4.2tdi 2003
440 Posts
It sounds like what I have, one wire, it just sits in the water. I also put a normally closed push button switch in the wire that goes to the thermostat, when the button is pushed, it simulates no water so its a good way to test the system every now and then. I have the part number of the ford part number somewhere. I think it goes way back to XF Falcon from memory I will try to find it and I will post a photo of mine tomorrow! This sensor is not earthed , its plastic with a stainless rod in the middle so its not earthed! Hope this helps ! Michael

·
Registered
nissan gu 4.2tdi 2003
440 Posts
No Eye Deer, I just looked at that Ebay item. I'm not sure if I would use that unit, It has no electronics unless they in the white area that the buzzer is attached to. You may be introducing 12 volts into the coolant by the looks of the system. You could get strange electronic problems and or premature failure of the radiator. I'm no expert but i would ask around and get some solid advise. Ask some questions of the seller. Michael

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah! Nah- I did ask the bloke about electrolysis. He explained about it, and I checked out what he said. "Seems legit" LOL! Its a cheap version of the dearer ones, as far as specs go. Did some research on other similar ones, too. I dont know much about electronics, but -well- seems ok. As far as I can tell. I always run good new coolant in all my cars, but couldnt afford to lose an engine ATM!! So should be ok.. I think, even if it does cause problems, I never keep a car more than 2 years, it seems, anyway!! LOL!

Mark

·
Registered
325 Posts
No Eye Deer. Have you purchased the kit yet? The one I bought was from a mob at Rocklea in Brisbane and it's great. Easy to fit and hasn't given any trouble in 4 years. The sender screws into the thermostat housing (after you've removed a blanking plug) and the wire runs back along the side of the rocker cover into the cabin to the alarm. Then there's a positive and negative wire to the alarm and that's it. One of the simplest mods I've put on the car. I also fitted a high temp' alarm that goes off at a temp' you've previously programmed. Got that from a mob in Mackay, north Queensland and it's been great too. The sender for that is just an eye terminal that goes under one of the thermostat bolts. It just couldn't be any easier. Deejay.

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DeeJay,
yeah, I'm still waitng on the kit. Prolly next week. I-strangely- dont seem to have a blanking plug on my T/stat housing. Had a quick look today, while changing my S/plugs (*thats another story!!). Is yours a TB or a TD?

Thanks mate,
Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts