Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to fit my Prodigy brake controller which I took out of my old car. I found an article showing good locations for the unit itself but I'm struggling with where to route all the wiring and which wire to splice into for the brake switch.

Can people post pics:
  • of where to route all the cables through the firewall and to the back of the car.
  • wire on the brake switch to splice into
Thanks in advance,
Knowlzy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
Hi mate, there should be a grommet behind the rocca cover in the fire wall. Pock a coat hanger wire with a hook on it from the engine side and look for it under the dash, it will be quite high inside.
The blue wire to the back can be run under the carpet along the drivers side and a grommet can be found at the back where the jack is kept.
the brake wire will go on the cold side of the brake peddle switch.
If you dont have a multi meter you can use a globe with one side to earth, or a bit of wire through some cigi silver paper to find the hot side. Just single thickness though.

cheers Shane.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate, there should be a grommet behind the rocca cover in the fire wall. Pock a coat hanger wire with a hook on it from the engine side and look for it under the dash, it will be quite high inside.
The blue wire to the back can be run under the carpet along the drivers side and a grommet can be found at the back where the jack is kept.
the brake wire will go on the cold side of the brake peddle switch.
If you dont have a multi meter you can use a globe with one side to earth, or a bit of wire through some cigi silver paper to find the hot side. Just single thickness though.

cheers Shane.
Thanks Dirt Devil. I'll check it out in the morning. What's your recommendation for a position of the unit? I was thinking to the left of the steering wheel up high.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Where to fit a Tekonsha brake control

This is where I fitted mine... means it is now part of the Patrol and hope to 'ell it never stuffs up

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...jACOBQ&usg=AFQjCNHZuULkkMk9lr5wNzvHQ7-AdXR6Bg

As for the wire routing I removed the transmission resistor plate at the firewall and drilled a 20mm hole thru it...fitted a grommet and now have a hole to pass EGT, boost gauge and a few other sensor wires thru.

Reason I selected this position was that it is there at your finger tips if needed in an emergency.

Hope this is of some help.

My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
My unit is installed as per the below photo.

Cabling goes through large grommet above passenger feet, lines to rear of car right side chassis rail cable tied to fuel lines etc.

Same setup on my last 2003 Patrtol

·
Registered
851 Posts
Another very convenient option, as you can see everything provided the steering wheel is more or less straight ahead and the manual trailer brake is easily found and operated with the left hand without looking for it. But not if you are over 6 feet and worried about your knee in a prang. I'm about 5'10" and you can see my knee. 2nd photo is drivers view thru steering wheel. This is the Prodigy P3 but very similar to the standard Prodigy I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
X2 TB4 Bruce, I tried a few spots and thats where it lives now. Been there for four years.
Bruce, whats the two buttons in the centre surround under the sub switch.

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies. This forum is fantastic!

I also noticed the cruise control that is fitted to my truck is at the bottom of the steering wheel. This seems pretty clumsy to operate in this position. I'm not sure whether its an aftermarket one. I'll take a pic and post it.

Picked up an ARB Roof rack off the original owner today for $200. Seemed to be a good deal to me.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. This forum is fantastic!

I also noticed the cruise control that is fitted to my truck is at the bottom of the steering wheel. This seems pretty clumsy to operate in this position. I'm not sure whether its an aftermarket one. I'll take a pic and post it.

Picked up an ARB Roof rack off the original owner today for $200. Seemed to be a good deal to me.
If you look in the photo I posted, you can just see the cruise control buttons on the far side of the steering wheel at about 3 oclock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts