Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Fitting aftermarket cruise control - accelerator cable linkage?

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  john.parham 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I'm fitting an AP500 kit to my '90 GQ TD42 manual.

Very similar actuator linkage to AP60 (vacuum) or AP300

My throttle cable only travels 27mm from idle to the wide open stop around that quarter arc and the spec requires at least 48mm and up to 55mm :-(

How did people fit the actuator cable? I'm struggling to see how I can get that distance....

Anybody remember what they did?

Also, a note to anyone thinking of fitting this style of kit - the manufacture of 'analogue' kits has stopped. Only digital (CAN based) now being manufactured...... You need to find someone with stock or you're stuffed....

Thanks in advance

Reactions: madk1w1
#3 ·
Many years since I fitted mine, so I either didn’t read the instructions (likely) or ignored the (equally likely). Not the best photo but this is how I connected mine. If you look closely you’ll see the end of the CC cable to the left of the throttle cable. Has been like this for 15 years and worked flawlessly. Note that mine is a GU so the linkage may be different.
Auto part

#5 ·
Hi All,
I'm fitting an AP500 kit to my '90 GQ TD42 manual.

Very similar actuator linkage to AP60 (vacuum) or AP300

Also, a note to anyone thinking of fitting this style of kit - the manufacture of 'analogue' kits has stopped. Only digital (CAN based) now being manufactured...... You need to find someone with stock or you're stuffed....

Thanks in advance
Thanks for the heads up re non-manufacture of these kits. I would like to get one while I still can.

Can you tell me why you chose the AP500 over the other two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#7 ·
Thanks for all your replies. Hmmm. I did have a previous 'electro-mechanical' cruise in this car, made by Rostra, US. It had an electromagnet between actuator and cable The springs on the throttle body of the TD42 are so strong the thing could never pull to full throttle. It would break the contact. Because of that, I didn't want one with this sort of connection, or the vacuum AP60 as if vacuum was atall reduced I'd have an issue. AP500 has a stepper motor and cam, so way more reliable (I hope).

And no room (well, 5mm, between cable and manifold) to increase the diameter of the pulley....
Defo not the same as GU piccys above - but thanks for taking it!
I can't even see how I could weld/secure a longer arm on it as it's got to come around the same arc as the pulley, which will hit the manifold. Grrrrr.
Can't even fit it to the accelerator pedal as that has cable fitted to the end of the lever.....
Still looking for ideas if anyone has any.
Thanks in advance
It looks wet, coz I doused it with diesel to clean it up a bit before I took piccy......
That bar that sticks out is where the fast idle A/C vacuum pull rod connects (in the foreground).

#9 ·
Hi Nigel3780,
Thanks for your suggestion. Hadn't thought of that! That sounds like a possibility. I'll take a look.
Might do that on the other end of the rod - more room.

#10 ·
In your kit you should have a small piece with a slot and a grub screw in it that clamps on the original throttle cable, that piece also has a hole through it that the cable from the cruise control can go through. There is also a small piece with a hole through it and a grub screw that will fit on the cable from the cruise control. You should be able to adjust length of pull with that!

#11 ·
Thanks for that Mudrat. Nah, I have those bits, but if I clamp to existing cable, the max length I'm gonna get is the same as the existing throttle cable movement = 27mm. I need at least 48mm according the the installation guide, so I've got to have some sort of lever or pully extension to get that length. I'm going to try designing a lever mechanism on the other end of the rod and pull that from the engine side as nigel3780 suggested. Will let you all know how I get on.

#12 ·
If you use the two pieces I suggested, all you need to do is leave a 21mm gap between the two. This will allow the cruise control cable to travel the 21mm before moving the throttle linkage, thus giving you the 48mm of travel you need!

#14 ·
Thanks for the clarification Mudrat. OK, now I understand. Basically you leave the first part of the actuator travel 'slack'. Got it.

Reactions: Mudrat
#15 ·
Hi All, right, I've made the mechanical link. I made a lever that fits over the existing securing bush on the throttle wire side (more room up under the air filter), then made the cable retainer to fit on two existing bolts. I managed to get something like 45mm of actuator cable movement. It's a tight fit under the air filter box.... Now on to electrics!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.