Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, i went to fit up my newly acquired steel arb bullbar and discovered it will bolt up ok on one side into the old recovery hooks bolt holes and nuts welded onto a plate inside the rail but on the passenger side there is no plate just holes going into the rails. Just wondering how people have gone about fitting these bars since once the bar is on you cant get access to the inside of the rails to hold the nuts when tightening them... I was thinking i may have to weld the nuts onto the inside of the rails.

Just wanting to know what others have done before i go and get the welder out. Cheers Chris.

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
I just made a plate up and drill holes in it in the right spots. Slipped it up the chassis rail, put the bolts and nuts in. Then tacked the nuts onto the plate while it was all in place. Unbolted it and pulled the plate out with the nuts tacked on. This way i could weld the nuts onto the plate properly off the vehicle. Painted it all up properly, slipped it back into the chassis rail and just tacked the plate into place at the front of the chassis rail.

Also, whilst the ARB bar may only use the front 2 holes, put all 3, so you have all of them to bolt recovery point plates onto.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
My brother and myself both have the ARB high mount bars and they both fitted up easily. The bar should come with the chassis plates and the bolts.

·
Registered
nissan
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bar probably did come with the plate as you said but i got it second hand off a mate who's moved to Darwin from Melbourne and i got it out of his storage shed. But yes i like the idea of making up the plate myself as it would be easy enough to do. Thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
The bar probably did come with the plate as you said but i got it second hand off a mate who's moved to Darwin from Melbourne and i got it out of his storage shed. But yes i like the idea of making up the plate myself as it would be easy enough to do. Thanks everyone :)
Also, another thing i did.

I cut the standard bumper mounts up also, so that i had a flat plate with one of the stock nuts welded to it. Slipped it up the chassis rail along the bottom of either rail, so that the bullbar has a bolt mounted underneath vertically also.

·
Registered
nissan
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a stock bumper to get the mounts off, but i think i will be right, i'll get the thing on there first and then see if i need to do anything else for strengthening etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts