Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I thought I might post my experience fitting a Fatz Airbox 4" inlet/outlet and 4" stainless snorkel to my 2000 GU in the off chance it might be of assistance to someone else.

First up, the service and build quality of the fatz gear is top notch, yes...their stuff is expensive...but I am happy with the product and happy with the service I got from them.

OK, I have a 2000 model 42TD motor with aux battery under the bonnet, this model has the wider radiator. I am running a aftermarket brass cored radiator but I am sure the dimensions are the same as factory...I have retained the fan on my set up.

First up.....do yourself a massive favour and move your aux battery and tray before you start the fit up....I didn't, because it looked like I could have fitted it without moving the aux setup...and I did, but in hindsight it was a massive pain in the arse because there is very little (read none) room left to move.

The instructions do tell you that you will need to trim the fan shroud and you may have adjust ac hoses etc.

I had to trim my battery box quite a bit.....move and manipulate the ac hoses, trim the shroud. When I notched the part of the battery box bracket where it bolts onto the panel, the airbox fitted in nice and snug....or so I thought.....idiot....I had dummy fitted it with out the lid on the box and when I thought I had finished and I went to put the lid on, it wouldn't fit......I then had to try and cut more out of the bracket but now had even less room to work with because the box was in place and there was no way I was moving it because it taken me soooo long to get it in place in the first place. So do your fitting with the lid on the airbox....I know it sounds like common sense but it can happen and you will be caught out....because there is absolutely no...NO...room to play with!

Moral of the story......remove the aux battery.......move the battery tray.......then fit the airbox and then....alter and fit the battery tray to suit the new airbox.

I will post on fitting the 4" snork a bit later on.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,726 Posts
My Fatz air box and snorkel went in pretty much as per the instructions.

To make things easier, I removed the aux battery and tray, then refitted them (in the same spot) after the air box was bolted in position. The radiator shroud needed a trim, as did the bottom radiator hose. I trimmed the hose without removing it from the water pump. The A/C lines didn't need to be touched.

The snorkel went to plan as well. Just needed to give the upper bracket a bit of a tap so that it fitted nicely to the pillar. I got some wider pinchweld to cover the holes from the original Nissan snorkel.

Cheers,
Geoff

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
I also have a Fatz Airbox. Fitted everything according to the instructions but the mounting bracket that attaches to the radiator support was not long enough on the airbox. Not ideal. Then when I rang (twice) to get some assistance, no one rang back. Hmmmmmm.

Easy enough to fit but modifying the air intake pipe inside the wheel arch was a biatch, but thats not a Fatz issue.

Service was less than average, i think they can improve that quite a bit. When I ordered my airbox, they took over a week just to get it on their list and send me payment details and only after i rang twice more.

Then more recently, i ordered one of their (way overpriced) paper filters. After it didnt arrive after ten days of paying, I rang again and they assured me it was sent a week earlier, only for it to arrive a few days later, with the date stamp of being posted the day after they said it had been sent a week earlier! I hate that, if you fark things up, just stick your hand up, lying just makes it worse.

So i think their service is shyte, really quite disorganised. The girls in the office just dont seem like they could organise themselves out of a cardboard box.

As for performance, more responsive on the HT18. Top end performance, well that will be tested once my 18g and DC6 arrive and get fitted. But Im assuming it will be the goods.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,726 Posts
And what was the difference?
More go, more responsive.....I took the lid off the air box and went for a drive. Pretty obvious difference.

You probably won't notice much difference doing it with the HT18, but I certainly did with the 18g and DC6.

I wanted to keep the original snorkel. Not a fan of cutting cars, but had to concede.....

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
More go, more responsive.....I took the lid off the air box and went for a drive. Pretty obvious difference.

You probably won't notice much difference doing it with the HT18, but I certainly did with the 18g and DC6.

I wanted to keep the original snorkel. Not a fan of cutting cars, but had to concede.....
me either. Sounds like i might have to drive with the lid off in fine weather, especially towing as I have no desire to upgrade snorkels.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also have a Fatz Airbox. Fitted everything according to the instructions but the mounting bracket that attaches to the radiator support was not long enough on the airbox. Not ideal. Then when I rang (twice) to get some assistance, no one rang back. Hmmmmmm.

Easy enough to fit but modifying the air intake pipe inside the wheel arch was a biatch, but thats not a Fatz issue.

Service was less than average, i think they can improve that quite a bit. When I ordered my airbox, they took over a week just to get it on their list and send me payment details and only after i rang twice more.

Then more recently, i ordered one of their (way overpriced) paper filters. After it didnt arrive after ten days of paying, I rang again and they assured me it was sent a week earlier, only for it to arrive a few days later, with the date stamp of being posted the day after they said it had been sent a week earlier! I hate that, if you fark things up, just stick your hand up, lying just makes it worse.

So i think their service is shyte, really quite disorganised. The girls in the office just dont seem like they could organise themselves out of a cardboard box.

As for performance, more responsive on the HT18. Top end performance, well that will be tested once my 18g and DC6 arrive and get fitted. But Im assuming it will be the goods.
Well...sorry to hear that mate,

My experience was quite different with a very pleasant and helpful lady in the office and the goods arrived in time etc.....I did have a bit of a wait for the stuff to be made but as I wasn't in a hurry it wasn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Well...sorry to hear that mate,

My experience was quite different with a very pleasant and helpful lady in the office and the goods arrived in time etc.....I did have a bit of a wait for the stuff to be made but as I wasn't in a hurry it wasn't an issue for me.
Yeah i know, ive heard lots of good stuff about them so it was disappointing for me.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
Fatz never got back to me so radius fab got my business! He was a excellent to deal with and cheaper also! Had all my stuff 6 days after payment

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,726 Posts
me either. Sounds like i might have to drive with the lid off in fine weather, especially towing as I have no desire to upgrade snorkels.
I had the lid off for a while, but I grew tired of the on/off thing so I decided to bite the bullet and do it properly. Not much point doing half the job. Besides, the guard had already been cut when the original snorkel was fitted, and the inner guard copped a trim when the air box went in. The car is coming up to 15yo, after all.......

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right.....now to finish off the story....well the latest update anyway!

So last night I finally finished the fit up of the snorkel and the new antenna and got it all back together;)

On a side note, my power antenna had stopped working some time ago so having the inner guard open was a good opportunity to try and fix it. As is often the case is was the "rope" that had broken hence no more up and down action for the antenna. Last Friday on the off chance that they may have one in stock I rang the local Nissan dealer.....looking for mast and rope mate.....yep we can do that, don't have them in stock...can't tell ya how long to get it....$150 mate................hahahahaha:doh:Anyway straight on the interweb....autopartsonline....$38 delivered...and it was here yesterday, that being Tuesday, thats pretty good service if you ask me:bigthumb:

So, muck around getting the antenna sorted, installed, inner guard put back together, wheel back on........ready to go and give it a test ride.....SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How did it go.........well........WOW and WOW again....what a difference! Now this is still on the busted arse pox HT18 mind you.....but throttle response has improved out of sight, pick up and accelleration much improved...much better top end.....revs further in the range....earlier spool up......stronger spool up at any given revs....

Induction noise if very cool at the moment....maybe not so much when the novelty wears off....yet to be seen!

I would say this improvement is more noticable than what I felt when I had the 3" zorst and dump pipe fitted.

What this has done is really lit my fire to move my arse and install the 16G L and CCIC I have sitting under the bed.......I can imagine how much improved it will be having that turbo pulling air through that snork and box will be!

I will continue this story on the Turbo comparison thread started by tough diesels (Matt) because that will involve the turbo fit and ccic install etc.

I don't have any photos of the install process because to be honest it was such a bastard of a job to get it done I just couldn't be farked taking pics....it was just one of those mods that really did fight me all the way..every step....but it was worth it:D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
479 Posts
I think the piping inside the guard with those tight odd shaped 90 degree bends causing most of the restriction on a standard setup not actually the snorkel part

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the piping inside the guard with those tight odd shaped 90 degree bends causing most of the restriction on a standard setup not actually the snorkel part
I wouldn't disagree with that mate!

Having done the work, I would be interested to compare what sort of the improvements could be made using the standard snork but replacing all the crap pipe work inside the guard with straight 3" pipe using 3" silcone bends to connect it. Then bodgy up 3" inlet and outlet with with the standard airbox (do the lid mod as found on this forum) and change the standard piping from box to turbo with 3" stuff....I reckon you would have to see a decent improvement with a lot less work and cost....just my thoughts.

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
I wouldn't disagree with that mate!

Having done the work, I would be interested to compare what sort of the improvements could be made using the standard snork but replacing all the crap pipe work inside the guard with straight 3" pipe using 3" silcone bends to connect it. Then bodgy up 3" inlet and outlet with with the standard airbox (do the lid mod as found on this forum) and change the standard piping from box to turbo with 3" stuff....I reckon you would have to see a decent improvement with a lot less work and cost....just my thoughts.
The standard airbox still has design issues so youd be wasting your time!

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
Right.....now to finish off the story....well the latest update anyway!

So last night I finally finished the fit up of the snorkel and the new antenna and got it all back together;)

On a side note, my power antenna had stopped working some time ago so having the inner guard open was a good opportunity to try and fix it. As is often the case is was the "rope" that had broken hence no more up and down action for the antenna. Last Friday on the off chance that they may have one in stock I rang the local Nissan dealer.....looking for mast and rope mate.....yep we can do that, don't have them in stock...can't tell ya how long to get it....$150 mate................hahahahaha:doh:Anyway straight on the interweb....autopartsonline....$38 delivered...and it was here yesterday, that being Tuesday, thats pretty good service if you ask me:bigthumb:

So, muck around getting the antenna sorted, installed, inner guard put back together, wheel back on........ready to go and give it a test ride.....SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

How did it go.........well........WOW and WOW again....what a difference! Now this is still on the busted arse pox HT18 mind you.....but throttle response has improved out of sight, pick up and accelleration much improved...much better top end.....revs further in the range....earlier spool up......stronger spool up at any given revs....

Induction noise if very cool at the moment....maybe not so much when the novelty wears off....yet to be seen!

I would say this improvement is more noticable than what I felt when I had the 3" zorst and dump pipe fitted.

What this has done is really lit my fire to move my arse and install the 16G L and CCIC I have sitting under the bed.......I can imagine how much improved it will be having that turbo pulling air through that snork and box will be!

I will continue this story on the Turbo comparison thread started by tough diesels (Matt) because that will involve the turbo fit and ccic install etc.

I don't have any photos of the install process because to be honest it was such a bastard of a job to get it done I just couldn't be farked taking pics....it was just one of those mods that really did fight me all the way..every step....but it was worth it:D
The induction noise does get a bit anoying but the gains make up for it!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
479 Posts
I'm currently changing to a radius fabrication 4" panel box and upgrading as much of the pipe work inside the guard to 4" alloy and still use the factory snorkel which has a 4" outlet through the guard.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts