Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all got a long range tank yesterday for 200 bucks. Had a small hole that was patched with metal magic but il weld that up. Anyway they said to put some 1/2" rubber under the back bolts. Has anyone seen this and is it right. Just means a trip to Clark rubber it it is. Hopefully fix and fit next weekend. Pretty happy for that price.
Tank I'm pretty sure is an opposite lock 150l replacement main.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
307 Posts
My 150l LRA replacement tank is directly bolted in (no rubber). has been in the car for five years without any issues.

Cheers
J

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Hey BeNos. I will bring a six pack and watch from 2 blocks away while you weld the tank!

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been sitting for over 3 weeks put your head in it and you cannot even smell fuel inside. I see no dramas plus il have to grind it and clean it up first. So that will surely go up before welding. IMO I see no dramas with this repair.
I may send it to a tank repairer anyway. But still I see no dramas.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,064 Posts
G'day Ben,

As mentioned, be very careful welding the tank. I have a mate who is a sheet metal worker advise me in this before. He told me that letting it sit and rinsing with water etc is not really good enough.

His advice was that it needed to be pressurised with an inert gas. I think he suggested that a hose off the exhaust pipe running into it would do an ok job.

Check it out before firing up the grinder or welder.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Or just fill with petrol. ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
144 Posts
It's been sitting for over 3 weeks put your head in it and you cannot even smell fuel inside. I see no dramas plus il have to grind it and clean it up first. So that will surely go up before welding. IMO I see no dramas with this repair.
I may send it to a tank repairer anyway. But still I see no dramas.
Be very careful when welding an empty fuel tank! The fact that you cannot smell any fuel inside does not mean that it is safe to weld. Fuel will be in the pores of the metal and absorbed by any rust and/or sludge in the tank. Fuel vapours will be released when heat is applied to the tank during welding and this will mix with the oxygen in the tank and could result in an explosion.

The safest way to weld a fuel tank is to use an explosimeter to verify that there is not an explosive mixture. An explosion would occur when the mixture is between the Lower Explosive Limit and the Higher Explosive Limit. This is a very narrow range very similar to the fuel air mixture in a gasoline engine, if the mixture is too lean or too rich the engine would not run.

Displacing the oxygen using inert gas or carbon dioxide as someone suggested is also and option. The message here is be aware of the dangers and don’t take unnecessary risks!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I watched a guy use a vacume claner to suck bits of rust out of a tank.

The vacume cleaner made a nice imprint on the roof of the workshop.:idiot:

If you use carbon dioxide,make sure its in a well vented area.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I watched a guy use a vacume claner to suck bits of rust out of a tank.

The vacume cleaner made a nice imprint on the roof of the workshop.:idiot:

If you use carbon dioxide,make sure its in a well vented area.
Would a lump of dry ice or a co2 fire extinguisher do the trick to purge the tank? Also, co2 is very safe as it's what causes our involuntary breathe in reflex.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
144 Posts
Would a lump of dry ice or a co2 fire extinguisher do the trick to purge the tank? Also, co2 is very safe as it's what causes our involuntary breathe in reflex.

Either one would work ! Since it is possible that there would be some fuel present and the welding process would produce heat, removing the oxygen breaks the fire triangle!

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I've looked into welding it and will do more before welding the tank. That was the plan all along. And il either be getting it done professionally or washing out a few times with a gernie and degreaser and running the exhaust into it before and during welding. Have no plans on dying any time soon
My main concern was the rubber along the back piece. If no one else has seen it before I won't bother either.
And btw it was a petrol tank originally but exactly the same as a diesel one.

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Bummer. I already bought the six pack.....

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
there is no rubber in either of my aux tanks. we had to weld a small crack in the smaller tank and the guy just washed it thoroughly and had an airline running into the tank while he welded with air flowing through the tank with a little bit of water in the bottom as well. he had done a few before like that with no dramas.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
Not too long ago we had a guy killed here in the west gas axing the top off a 44 drum. According to the safety report I saw the drum had been filled and emptied with water 3 times before he lit up the torch, still blew the drum up and killed him.

This is a well documented safety hazard, welding, cutting, burning on vessels that have had liquids in them with even a very high explosive limit, and any fuel or oil is not high so will not take much to make go boom.

We used to take the tops off drums on the station, but we used brass hammers and brass home made cold chisels with the drum constantly overflowing with water, as the smallest air / fuel mixture can be devastating.

It can be done yes, but be extremely careful and make sure you have filled it with an inert liquid / gas constantly flushing through it but a liquid can make the welding difficult and give problems down the line due to the temp difference of burning a rod and the liquid behind being cold. Better yet, take it to a pro and let him blow himself up coz dead is dead mate, and better him than you over a matter 100 buck or so.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Purging it with the exhaust of a diesel wont do any good. still plenty of oxygen left in it.
I've got quite a few years in the hydrocarbon industry. You're mad to even consider it.

fill with water.
whack a dent where the hole is using a block of jarrah and a hammer,
sand it BY HAND to rough the surface up.
fill dent with fuel resistant epoxy and some fine glass fibre in it for strength.
get last bits of water out with metho.

Chances are if it's rusted out in one spot it'll be leaking in many spots very soon. Flog it off cheap while you can still get a few bucks for it, oh wait.. Someone already did. :/

Theres good reason the factory make the tanks out of stainless.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the hole isnt rust. hit a rock. so a small dent and a hole isnt to bad. tank still looks very good.
hence needing the hole welded up.
ive thought about the epoxy thing but i dont like the chance of hitting it again and breaking the epoxy out and well stranded in the middle of no where with a leaky fuel tank.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts