Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience fitting the legs of a rhino rack to a 2006 GU wagon. I have the rhino platform and I couldn't get the legs to fit as per the instructions. The instructions say to fit the internal part of the leg to the outside (internal) edge of the gutter and clamp. I was unable to get the clamping bolts to do up doing it this way. Instead I moved the internal part of the leg to the very inside of the gutter and clamped. It fitted fine this way. The image is what the instructions say

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is also slight movement around the little bolt that clamps the crossbar on. See photo. Sorry for the number of posts but I couldn't attach more than 1 photo. Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
Yes I have had that same problem with the Rhino racks but more so with the Sportz rack. The clamp bit under the gutter tends to want to slip out as you do it up.

I have also used the heavy duty racks like you have (they are for a boat loader rack) and I thought they were better. But you do need to hold the outer part of the clamp tightly in against the gutter as you do up the clamp bolts, till the rubber compresses a bit and it starts to grip.

It should not hinge out so far as you have in the top photo, but tends to want to do that till it is tight. Pain in the but when they are first fitted.

As they get a bit older. the rubber under the gutter clamps tends to peel off as well so on my Rhino Sportz racks, I have now used some silicone sealer to glue the feet part under the gutter. Then only tighten it a day later when it is firmly stuck and I also stuck stainless bolts through sideways to fix the clamp part (this is because I do not want my rooftop camper to come off).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts