Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove past a Toyota dealer yesterday and they had a yellow FJ Cruiser parked out front. My son and I went in and had a look over it. I have seen them in photos and never thought much of them but I must say they don't look to bad.

They seem to be built very solid all round, plenty of room under the bonnet and what got me was how solid the chassis seems when compared to the Patrol and it also has great ground clearance to boot.

The driving position is very comfortable and everything inside is very well positioned, It's not the best to climb into the back seat but once seated there's quite a bit of leg room.

I took it for a drive and I must say it drove really well, rear vision from inside the car is not great but hey that's what mirrors are for.

Fuel usage would be a bit of a concern but I think when you compare total running costs to a big diesel it might actually cost nearly the same. The service intervals on the cruiser is every 15,000km's or 12 months when compared to the Patrol at every 5,000.

Anyway when I got back to the car dealer the sales pitch started, I was very surprised when the salesman said to me that they wanted my car and were willing to do a straight swap for mine and that included the cruiser also being fitted a with towbar, rock sliders and a sub woofer sound system. I think it would be hard to for me to part with the Patrol as it's only just done 50,000km's and still looks and drives like new, all in all it's not a bad deal if I were in the market for a new Toyota. Anyway if you get time check one out you might be surprised. Cheers.

·
TD42 The God Of All Engines
nissan
429 Posts
Ive already seeen one driving around up this way havent seen it up close though

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
I like them, looking forward to seeing one in the workshop for goodies, also looking forward to seeing an VW Amarok too...

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
Heaps of them in the states when I was there last may. They are IFS though.
Al

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
... and gearbox's they are weak as p!ss

·
Registered
nissan
210 Posts
I spent two years driving a bright yellow FJ in Dubai. Have to say they are fantastic truck and VERY capable and had been looking forward to then arriving in Australia so I could get one again.

However when I went in to inquire I changed my mind due to the price, a little bit under $50k!! I paid the equivalent of $32k in Dubai and that was three years ago when the Aussie dollar was much weaker. I know they have much lower taxation in the Middle East but that is still quite a difference.

Sadly while it is an EXCELLENT truck it has a few issues I think will limit its appeal in Australia:

Only comes in a thirsty petrol (no diesel)
Fuel tank is relatively small
Limited stuff carrying capacity for long trips
The price tag - its over priced

However.........I have to say that if I came into a bit of cash and was able to turn a blind eye to the price tag.......I buy one without question and give the Patrol to the misses!!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
They dont really do it for me. I reckon if you're going to buy a Prado , just buy a Prado.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
I was up Jamieson (Vic) when a FJCuiser came through, it was on a photo shoot for RACV mag at the time. It was very average, very plastic interior, not very ergonomic, power train was average (ie including maintenance cost). I would seriously pursue a Suzuki Jimni before a FJ Cruiser or at least a Prado. Its an absolute shtter much like a Jeep Wrangler with IFS.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
It's like the overly gay brother of the original FJ.

The original looked solid, built to do stuff and go places.
The new one looks suited for sipping lattes and shopping for skirts.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Can you fit 36's with out chopping the guards? Is superior gonna doa kit for them soon?

Petrol only is gonna suck driving through some places in NT and SA

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
615 Posts
I vomited in my mouth a little when I saw one on the weekend. Ugly as a hat full of fried a55holes. Would rather buy the original FJ than this one.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
52 Posts
I vomited in my mouth a little when I saw one on the weekend. Ugly as a hat full of fried a55holes. Would rather buy the original FJ than this one.
x2
I can't believe anyone anywhere would even consider getting one of these over a Patrol

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
says someone driving a GQ worth less than 1/4 of the value of the new FJ?
So if i say it, does it have cred? I'd not buy one. Yeckch! I want a SWB coily 70 series with the V8 petrol...

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
x2
I can't believe anyone anywhere would even consider getting one of these over a Patrol
Sad fact is that it'll be the same/similar market that will be very interested in the new Patrol.

Whilst I personally don't like the appearance, the designers have made it to appeal to a large audience. Not the audience who grew up with the FJ's, but for the sort of people who like terms such as "iconic" and "modern".

Reckon Toyota will make quite a few dollars off 'em.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
So if i say it, does it have cred? I'd not buy one. Yeckch! I want a SWB coily 70 series with the V8 petrol...

No. :p

I just find it funny when people driving older vehicles make comments on newer "inferior" vehicles when they haven't even sampled them.

I find it funny as I used to be one of them......and now I am converted. :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts