Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Greetings from the Caribbean

I have recently acquired a [Jan] 1980 model MQ160 with a SD33 engine

Couple questions about this beast

what engine oil grade ?

How much oil does it take for an oil change?

What grade diff fluid ?

what grade transfer case fluid ?

what grade gearbox fluid ?

what aftermarket filters for engine oil and fuel do you recommend (I cant get OEM here, as dealer doesn't stock due to age)

apologies if this was asked before

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
Do search met it is here some where engine oil is about 9 litres I think the last oil I used was 20 50 , diff transfer and gear box I run 80 90

Sent from Alf Stewart's rape dungeon .

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got this for diffs:

Righto:

For my open / air locked diffs I run Penrite Hypoid 80w-90 2.5L (Code: HYP80900025)
For my LSD rear I run Penrite Limslip 90 2.5L (Code: LIM900025)

I use NULON Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment (Code: G70) for all of my diffs and gearboxes. It worked wonders for my 5spd in my SD33T and also my original LSD centre. Quietens them down. (within reason of course, if your gears have teeth like the homeless then you have no chance) This additive is safe to use with ARB Air Locked diffs.

The front diff - C200 takes 1.5litres - So I would recommend 1.5 litres + 125ml of additive - 1625ml
The rear diff - H233B takes 2.0 litres - So I would recommend 2 litres + 125ml of additive - 2125ml
and this for engine oil:

8 1/2 litres is what the manuals say as well as the Castrol and Shell oil websites.

Put 8 litres in, start and allow oil pressure to build, run for a minute or two then stop. Leave for 5 or 10 minutes, check oil level and carefully top up to the dipstick mark.
8 1/2 litres is pretty well spot on.

Cheers Ric
seems sound advice as what i normally do on my 3.2L Mitsubishi L200

as for the grade of engine oil, i found this on Shell (Aus) site:

10W seems a bit thin for an engine that is 34yrs old that smokes a bit.

Then i found this:

Trying to chase up some unwanted oil use in my old SD33. 1981 NA

I bought the truck last year and it had just been serviced. I ran it for about 3000 k and watched the oil daily. Not a drop was used. I needed some clutch work and a new head gasket and got that done at a mechanic. I then also did an oil change. I used Penrite 15w 40 as that is the general agreed oil for this engine. Since doing that oil change and getting the work done I've had some oil use. Mostly when I'm doing a long drive say 3 hours or more at highway speeds (well for a 4 speed MQ lol) I don't really notice any oil use around town even for several tank fulls (over 1000k) but extended trips seem to use a bit of oil (400 k will show about halfway from full to empty on the dip stick) I posted this problem before and the general idea was to get it compression tested. I did that and the mechanic said that the compression was fine in all the cylinders well within 10%. He thinks if I'm using oil that the oil rings might be wearing on the pistons.

Ok well I've written the old girl off to needing a rebuild. The other day I was looking at the service history and the old service sticker that was on the window when I bought the truck. The workshop had been using 25/60 oil for some time. I'm not real good with my viscosities but 15/40 is much thinner isn't it? If the motor was used to and worn in with 25/60 going to 15/40 might increase oil use yes?

Chris
i think this may be my case as well.

Will start with the recommended oil and see if it burns off any

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My L28 used some oil when I had 10W40 in it so I switched to 20W50; no more oil consuption and a more quiet engine.

Reactions: venum

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulled teh trigger and ordered the purolator oil filter online

couldn't easily get them locally

1 - 5 of 5 Posts