Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, would you, or, do you do this? i recently spoke with a bloke who swears by flushing out his diesel engines with diesel. i know there are a number of products on the market designed for flushing and cleaning the internals but hey if diesel works and is safe then why not. all his vehicles are old school non turbo jobs which concerns me a little when i'd be putting it through my 4.2 turbo, not that its cutting edge technology but its the only engine i have. any thoughts?

thanks
jamie

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
I wouldn't. Diesel engine oil has detergents in it (all diesel oils) and probably more frequent oil changes would negate the need to flush.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
37 Posts
I've done this to a few engines both petrol and diesel. These engines had been flooded and left sitting for about a month. The water had seeped in everywhere.
So doing this would probably be the least of there problems
They were old generator and forklift engines, definately not high performance or high tech.
(Some TB/TD42's)
Personally I would not do it to my own engine (TD42T) or any other.
This is what the owners wanted...
Not worth the $6K rebuild if it did [email protected]#$ it IMO.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I use a flushing oil on every oil change and then a run 2 liters down the engine followed by a about 5 mins pumping air into the engine. Were not even allowed to use diesel for cleaning engine's anymore we have to use WD40 and we use gallons of it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
when i blew the head gasket in the old jackaroo the mechanic that fixed it had tranny oil on the list of consumables, i asked wtf? he reckons he used tranny oil to clean up the engine as it was cheap and did a mint job.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
iv done it. . . just let the car idle for 5-10min, dont go for a drive, that way you're not trying to lubricate you turbo with diesel. -you will be surprised how much crud comes out.

using diesel is ok because its pretty oily anyway. just dont stress anything or cook the diesel while its you're only lubricant M'kay.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Truly, absolutely and completely horrified....
Please post your engine numbers.

If youre worried about sludge take the rocker cover and sump off and wash them, then short change the oil several times.
Running with diesel as a lubricant is up there with pouring ajax powder down the intake to de-glaze the bores.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think this idea might have come from the bottles of engine flush eg. Liquid Molly's engine detox that has a diesel smell to it.. Or maybe it's a chicken and egg thing.. But on my last service I used a litre of Liquid Molly's engine detox in with the old oil (recommends 500ml per 5ltrs) and got it to a warm idle.. SuperCrap is just aroun the corner so I put it in while in their car park and drove home..

The amount of sludge that came out (even with good oils and 5k changes) was pretty amazing. Have noticed that the new oil is staying alot cleaner for longer, with no audible (no change in the amount of diesel clatter) or visual (no leaks, no changes in oil consumption, no extra smoke) so this stuff worked for me and it did smell alot like diesel. With the amount of "I knew an old bloke who..." stories from the last time this topic got brought up.. I would say using the same method as I mentioned above but with diesel, would have a very similar result with a lower price (I think the liquid moly stuff was about $20 a bottle)
The end.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Unless you fill your engine with treacle or some such thing, there should never be a need to flush a diesel engine.

Diesel engine oil is a high detergent oil, as has been suggested, a short kilometer oil change or two ( could use cheap oil and filters for this) is all that's needed. Even bringing up to op temp and dropping.

Keep in mind in older engines deposits can often help seal rings, seal where gaskets are thin etc, etc.
There are cases where engines working fine before a flush, have failed after a month because the blow-by past the scraper ring (now really clean) contaminated the oil and screwed the rod bearings.

Flush with diesel.....no way.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Hey truckster have you looked at the stuff at the bottom of the page? A book claiming to save your thousands of dollars and some kind of energy supplement to boost perfomance, Safe! Natural!

This practice isnt dodgy at all....
Leave the sludge alone. I'd rather a running dirty engine than a leaking de-sludged engine with dodgy bearings.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
never used diesel to flush an engine
but ran diesel in engine's at idle only for about 5 mins to clean the oil out befor a strip and rebuild, cant say id use it between services tho

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
I have posted about this on the forum before. Using diesel for a diesel engine flush is a very old practice same with using Ajax or Bon-ami (cannot spell it) which works better Btw to deglaze bores. Diesel does remove sludge but doesn't do it very effectively. There is heaps of boffin engineers documented report on the net about this subject (google is your friend here) Dumbing down this info a bit in basic terms, sludge is bad it contains all sorts of heavy metals and oxides that you dont want for extended engine life. Engine deposited sludge keeps these byproducts in suspension or at satuation point in your nice clean oil, over time this in turn reduces engine life, Products like CEM remove sludge very effectively a lot better than diesel hence increase engine life. This sort of evidence is very well documented on heavy mining equipment in Australia and in the US from companies with 500+ fleet transport trucks. As we know oils today are a lot better at keeping these engine destroying contaminents in suspension but still allow sludge to develop in some engine types this is also documented by oil companies. Is it necessary to use well that has to be your choice and what you believe in, for me i have seen way to much real life heavy equipment evidence proving these types of developed flush products like CEM flush work very well at removing sludge especially in our very old designed and very dirty TD42 engines. For the later ZD and CRT engine, well i feel it isn't nesessary but every bit helps so i would flush every now and again my opinion only. As for using diesel to flush i cannot find any documented evidence that it would destroy your engine, lets face it one of the reasons we change the oil is because it has diesel and its contaments in it. But i think it would be a best practice to use a product especially designed over many years to do this job like CEM flush. I mention CEM only because it is the only product i have experience with on heavy mining equipment and my own TD42. I have spent a lot of money to do oil analysis test experiments on my TD42 and i can assure you This product CEM flush used every oil change will allow you to extend your oil changes on a TD42 (turboed) by a lot before it is contaminated to danger levels.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
There's a good thread somewhere on here about engine flushes and Naptha...someone got right into the complexities of it, was it you Glort?

Anyway from memory it sounded like Naptha was better or equivalent to CEM but way cheaper. I did an engine flush on mine when I first bought it (4yrs ago) but haven't bothered since then. Quite happy with 5k oil and filter changes.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,046 Posts
The main ingredient on ALL the engine flush miracles in a bottle is Naptha.... Available at bunnings for about $7 for a 1 litre bottle.
I am not sure you know what "Naptha" is, just for others it is a mixture of many hydrocarbons a distillation product from petroleum. Its main use is a feedstock for producing high octane gasoline. Or something you will know its lighter fluid which i am sure you could buy at Bunnings or Wollies for a lot cheaper. So i am sure as for most products we buy today it will have some or all the hydrocarbons that makes up the Naptha carbon chain examples would be diesel itself plastc or all kinds even margarine. But on a serious note and not to flame here the main active component used in these products is a highly active detergent to which there are many chemical names. But the main point i was making is Quote "best practice to use a product especially designed over many years to do this job"

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Diesel engines are expensive. Flushing solutions specifically designed to flush diesel engines are cheap. I think its a bit of a no brainer. I use Nulon when I change my oils and everything stays nice and clean for about $12 a bottle.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
You beat me to it PaulnLou.

The voice of reason and experience.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Flush by all means, but use a product designed for the job, it ain't expensive. Frequent oil changes are more important IMO, that in itself will keep the engine clean internally, maybe with a flush every other change or so if you must. Using diesel as a flush is a common practice on engines that have had coolant /oil leaks, cleans the mayo out !

1 - 20 of 99 Posts