Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To replace the coolant and flush the radiator, do you just undo the bottom hose to drain, then put the garden hose in and let it run?
What is the capacity of the engine and radiator, I need to know to get the coolant to demineralised water ratio correct?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still turn the heater on?

·
Registered
nissan
4,840 Posts
I still turn the heater on?
That won't change anything. The coolant is always flowing through the heater core so turning the heater on simply moves a flap that directs air through the core.

You should also have a drain plug for the block on your engine but I don't know how accessible it would be in the GU engine bay.
Always a good idea to drain the block too.

Also a good idea, if you're flushing the whole system, is to run some Fleetguard Restore through it to get the scale out. I'm pretty sure Cummins recommend it for their engines.
Plenty of info on Google.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had a chat with Brunswick, it takes 18 litres, their recommended method is a reverse flush. Take the top hose off at the thermostat, remove the thermostat and replace the housing. Put the hose in try to seal it the best you can, make sure you point the top hose away from yourself and the engine and turn the hose on. When it runs clean replace the bits, put the required amount of coolant in then top up with demineralised water. Run engine to temp and keep checking fluid level until no more topping up is required.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,158 Posts

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just need an air compressor, mine went missing after I lent it to my grandson.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been awhile, did the flush using my new compressor and the flash gun thingie. I learnt that you need to turn the water off at the end to completely clear out all the fluid, although that may not have been a bad thing. Took way less fluid than recommended but I put the green stuff in first. Drove around a bit, the temps rose above 87c then dropped rapidly. Only took about one litre of demineralised water to top it up.
Today I towed the caravan to Nambour and the highest the temperature got to was 91c. I’ll check the fluid level in the morning before I leave for home.

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
803 Posts
Been awhile, did the flush using my new compressor and the flash gun thingie. I learnt that you need to turn the water off at the end to completely clear out all the fluid, although that may not have been a bad thing. Took way less fluid than recommended but I put the green stuff in first. Drove around a bit, the temps rose above 87c then dropped rapidly. Only took about one litre of demineralised water to top it up.

Today I towed the caravan to Nambour and the highest the temperature got to was 91c. I’ll check the fluid level in the morning before I leave for home.

What was outside temps when towing ?

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What was outside temps when towing ?
It was this morning, so probably about 28-30. I got to 100kmph in 4th, didn’t stay there too long though. Temps dropped quickly when slowing to 90-80, got down to about 80c going through Gympie. Didn’t turn on the thermo fan at any time. The thermo is now controlled by the “warm up” switch.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Checked the fluid level in the radiator, all good. No air in the system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts