Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sick of having my intercooler and condenser destroyed by bugs every time a drive after dark, so deciding to screen it with some alloy fly mesh from bunnings. Don't know if it will effect engine temperature at speed yet, but i doubt it. If it does, the hard work is done, ill just change to a different mesh. It cost $7 for the mesh, which is a lot better then $80 the ask in the shops for the precut ones.

Example of bugs destroying front of car.

To fit the alloy fly mesh i ground the back of the grill back to that all the fins on the grill were even as normally they are staggered. Only had to take 5mm off every second one to get the mesh to sit flush.

Then drills 2.5mm holes around the edge of the section i was covering, so that i could cable tie it one. I also folded the edge of the fly screen to give it more strength where the ties went through. Then put a few in the middle and was done.

Will definitely help keep the bugs out, and will be easy to clean by just blasting it out from the back.
The finished product looks like this. Very happy with it.

Wouldn't know it was there without a close look, and beats the $80 it costs for a premade one from the shop.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
$700 better then $80, have i missed something???? or is this a typo?????

Either way looks good hardly ntice it and would help with the bugs no end.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4
36 Posts
thanks looks good,

dont know if I'll go to that extent, I would be more enclined in putting
glad rap on the chromy bits and then putting the mesh on top of the glad wrap stops the crome being scracthed when the mesh flopps around, I have seen a mechanic doe this and had no problems

any way thanks for the info will

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
44 Posts
Awesome idea for the long night trips i have been doing lately jammin intercooler for of bugs. thanks for pics

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
Good job mate, BUT Nissan state in their hand book that turbo models are not to use the bug screens because of over heating.

Shane.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Good job mate, BUT Nissan state in their hand book that turbo models are not to use the bug screens because of over heating.

Shane.
The ones that are sold at ARB also state "not for turbo diesels"

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the feedback.

Im yet to have a problem. I have never seen the the temp gauge move even a little bit, and thats in the middle of summer, second gear, full boost through soft high tide sand on Fraser for over an hour.

Hasn't changed my pyro temps (FMIC), so until i have a problem it will be staying.

The idea of putting it behind the grill instead of in front was so it couldn't deflect air straight over the bonnet, and it could use the grill fins to direct the air through. Easy to wash out with the hose from behind too.

BTW, i got the idea from a mate, and all up there a five of us with it done, some for a couple of years, and none of us has has a problem. They are a aftermarket turbo diesel 80 series, 2 turbo diesel 100 series, 3L GU VI and mine.

·
Registered
nissan
714 Posts
Hta'ts a pretty nifty job. . . Buggared if I could be bothered going to that effort, i'd probably just chuck some fly screen right over the bumper hahaa.

TF

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Cheers for the feedback.

Im yet to have a problem. I have never seen the the temp gauge move even a little bit, and thats in the middle of summer, second gear, full boost through soft high tide sand on Fraser for over an hour.

Hasn't changed my pyro temps (FMIC), so until i have a problem it will be staying.

The idea of putting it behind the grill instead of in front was so it couldn't deflect air straight over the bonnet, and it could use the grill fins to direct the air through. Easy to wash out with the hose from behind too.

BTW, i got the idea from a mate, and all up there a five of us with it done, some for a couple of years, and none of us has has a problem. They are a aftermarket turbo diesel 80 series, 2 turbo diesel 100 series, 3L GU VI and mine.
Fair call mate, good luck. It looks great and it seems to work well too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts