Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im buying a fmic for my td42 and have discovered theres two different types which one works better and wich one should i get? im gessing bar and plate is stronger but does it flow as good?

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
From what I remember when researching this when I was modding my typhoon, Bar and plate is better at cooling but doesnt let air flow though it as well as a tube and fin, this might be an issue in a front mount when doing a lot of beach work and restricting the radiator flow
The tube and fin type are usually cheaper and I think most of the time would be fine, Im running a plazmaman tube and fin in the typhoon its got over 440hp at the wheels and on track days in summer I havent noticed any heat soak effects, although its pretty big
Thats what I can remember anyway, others might have a better idea

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
2.5 inch piping is plenty unless you modify the inlet manifold. the hole in the top is only 60mm.

bar and plate vs tube and fin is a harder one. a GOOD bar and plate will flow more than a cheap tube and fin. I've seen tube and fin crack around the hot side piping.
if you have roiom for a big one go a cheap bar and plate, but make sure its been pressure tested

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh ive got plenty of room, no aircon, im gonna get a 600 x 300 x 76 with 2.5 inlet and outlet.. im leaning towards bar and plate because of the cooling and it looks stronger for 4x4

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I got mine form a seller called auturbo. pretty good cooler for the price. I expect I'll put a stick thru it one day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts