Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying a second hand version in the next 6 months. Something with no more then 70,000 kays and 2006 or later around the 25k-40k mark. Just wondering if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them. All info would be appreciated.
rob

ps must be the turboed option

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thirsty, thirsty, thirsty. Other than that your typical Territory. Drive.com has some very good re-visiting reviews, have a look there.

They had a recall on the brake hoses & ball joints (dropping out) make sure that has been done before you buy.

·
Registered
nissan
1,731 Posts
Nowhere near as thirsty as a petrol Patrol. From memory I think its about 17l per100 km. What state you in? My brother has just traded one with 20 inch wheels in blueprint at his Ford Dealership.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
just a suggestion..

Holden Captiva 7 with a 2.0 turbo diesel?
not to bad as a shopping trolley.

spankin brand new for 36k.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Isnt the Territory ball joint issue related to no grease nipples in them ???

·
Registered
nissan
1,207 Posts
BA/BF era Ford Falcon and Territory are the only cars ive seen, that often have rust starting within 5yrs of age (normal conditions, no previous smash repairs).

Don't think i've ever seen a Territory older than 5yrs, that did not have rust under the rear tailgate rubber when ive looked, some ive seen it at 3yrs old, also 80% i see, have had rust starting around engine bay seams (particularly above strut tower to firewall panels) this is quite discusting in this day and age.

:confused:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Isnt the Territory ball joint issue related to no grease nipples in them ???
Not 100 percent sure on that one, ball joints have not had grease nipples for yonks. I think it has more to do with the loads placed on Falcon suspension. It was only designed for passenger cars, Ford fattened & raised the platform for the Territory which I think caused the issue.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the reply guys. The fuel consumption didn't really bother me as the missus works 7 kays from home. and would be lucky to do 15000 kays a year. The rust issue is a concern though as i had not heard of this before.

·
Registered
Nissan
142 Posts
We have quite a few in our fleet at work. I can second the earlier opinion about fuel consumption, they seem particularly bad for that. We've also had several that have needed quite a lot of work done on the front suspension. I cant remember exactly what, but seemed to be a recurring theme across several vehicles, with under 100k on the clock, needing $3k+ suspension work. They also seem to burn through front tyres quickly, but may be due to the type of roads ours get driven on (bendy!)

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
If you are prepared to spend up to $40K on a Territory then may I suggest waiting for the new 2011 version with the Landrover 2.7L V6 Diesel. Will be a goer and hold its value VERY well. Expect 8L/100km fuel consumption too :D

Otherwise if its power you want then a second had turbo could be good. I used to have the BA turbo 5-speed when they first came out. Best engine I have ever been behind in a car, and the Territory version would be just as good.

As others have said about ball joints and rust are spot on. Its a shame, ***** in the armor as you would say.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,353 Posts
just a suggestion..

Youve never been in a turbo territory have you? Frankly I wouldnt use a captiva as a boat anchor......

My first experience in a territory turbo was when a mate and 3 others, a tandem trailer with a drag car on the back whent to heathcote raceway, from melbourne in 1 hour. The acceleration with that great lug on the back absolutely blew me away.

I want one. Stuff the fuel economy! :D

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I have a 2005 SX TX, which has a few TS options. 85,000km on the clock and giving me no problems at all after having had a few of the known issues fixed over the last few years, almost all at Ford's expense.

They are a very good vehicle and the problems with them are known and well documented in the Territory section of Australian Ford Forums:

Australian Ford Forums - Territory

The rust is one of these known issues, with a fix - as all Territorys have a 5 year corrosion warranty you can phone Ford and get a job number, get two quotes from paintshops, get the go-ahead from Ford for one of them and have it fixed. Ours cost $3k or so, and the paint was taken back to metal around the tailgate, fuel tank, rear bar crumple zone etc. and refinished. Three years later and it's still looking great. The problem stems from the introduction of water-based paint with BA and Territory, took them quite some time to get it all sorted.

They also do the afore-mentioned front ball joints (Pedders makes a stout replacement but Ford will usually replace them free with their redesigned job), snap the front electric window cable-to-window clips (a dealer bulletin says replace these during service if they haven't already been done). There's also dealer bulletins to re-do fuel line routing and replace a brake circuitry component. The bonnet cables snap but the $30-40 redesigned version is easy to fit and works much better than the original.

The latches on the rear rubbish bin door and the top-of-dash storage bin break easily.

You can fit an MP3 input jack to the stereo fairly easily, the plug and play wiring harness is available on ebay (buy the amplified version, not the non-powered version).

If you need roof racks, make sure that any factory racks come with the keys to unlock them, otherwise you can't even move them. Note that the racks look like Thule and Rola but are a different profile and no Rola etc. accessories will fit to them.

Any issues with them, you'll usually find an answer with a search of that Ford forum.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Youve never been in a turbo territory have you? Frankly I wouldnt use a captiva as a boat anchor......

My first experience in a territory turbo was when a mate and 3 others, a tandem trailer with a drag car on the back whent to heathcote raceway, from melbourne in 1 hour. The acceleration with that great lug on the back absolutely blew me away.

I want one. Stuff the fuel economy! :D

ive had the experience of driving a awd turbo ghia territory;
and i agree, they go and handle like go-karts.

i preferred driving that, to the xr6 turbo sedans.

alot of people may not remember or know about this;
but CAPA upgraded a territory.. called the terra-tory!

ford terrortoy, xr8 running gear and v8, with a vortech supercharger = 1000hp.
that, was a machine to be had. thing was awesome.

cost him about 130k to do, ended up selling it for only 80k.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Is that the one FTG built? Looks grouse :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
my brother has one and loves it he did some mods like inlet plenum intercooler fuel pump injectors and a wastegate mod and tune and now it makes 330 kw at the wheels very fast and very drivable its his wifes shopping trolley

he also told me after it was all done he got far better fuel economy (if driving sedately )

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my brother has one and loves it he did some mods like inlet plenum intercooler fuel pump injectors and a wastegate mod and tune and now it makes 330 kw at the wheels very fast and very drivable its his wifes shopping trolley

he also told me after it was all done he got far better fuel economy (if driving sedately )

these were similar mods that i was looking into. Thank for all the detailed responses guys very much appreciated

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
just a suggestion..

Also known as a "Craptiva" they are a South Korean piece of junk that will be stuffed before it reaches 150k... same the the Cruze, Epica etc....do yourself a favour and steer clear.

Aswell as the front radius bushes and lower balljoints, the Territory also flog out the rear suspension e.g. diff mount bushes, all the spherical balljoints on the control arms, blade control arm bushes etc. Its not a major problem, but can cost a few $$$$ to fix.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts