Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a leak in my dump pipe for some time now, after a bit of a struggle with one of the nuts I finally got the thing off.

I FOUND THE LEAK.........

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Drill small holes at the end of each crack and this time try a few more amps

·
Quickest Tyre Deflator On The Market
nissan
3,026 Posts
If you are gunna weld cast, it needs to be pre heated and slowly cooled in an oven. I have had good results welding cast with stainless and the weld must be "peened" as it cools. A far as that dump pipe goes, I would bin it. I made one out of mild steel and no cracks to date.;) She'll be a lot quieter when she's fixed for sure!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are gunna weld cast, it needs to be pre heated and slowly cooled in an oven. I have had good results welding cast with stainless and the weld must be "peened" as it cools. A far as that dump pipe goes, I would bin it. I made one out of mild steel and no cracks to date.;) She'll be a lot quieter when she's fixed for sure!!
I'll give it to my welder and let him decide if goes in the bin or not ( i cant weld for sh*t ) well not when theres one in the family.....and he's pretty bloody good.
Its a Beaudesert 3" inch from about 5 or 6 years ago, so if its replaced I guess i'll give them a call..at least I can be confident it will match up.

But your right about the noise, and the amount of soot in the engine bay now.....I came out looking like a minstral!

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
That dump pipe aint cast though ;) (the flange has profile cutting witness lines)

I would first go show beadesert and see what they say (hey they could be uber cool and remake it for free?? Doubt it though - it is past most warranties I guess)

I can get you a flange if your family member wants to remake the whole thing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the offer "BigBear" I'll keep that in mind.
As for taking it back, As you say its outa warranty and its a bit far. Plus I only bought the dump from them and had the rest made here.

And to top it off, the last nut that gave me all the trouble came of and then I dropped it into the exhaust....Doooh.

·
nissan
3,026 Posts
That dump pipe aint cast though ;) (the flange has profile cutting witness lines)

Fair comment Big bear, I missed that, but I have been a welder for 45 years and to me the whole thing looked cast but maybe the bend is cast? which wouldn't like being welded to mild steel.:D

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I have been a welder for 45 years
You old bugger! lol :coffee:

Exhaust shops can do some neat shaping for dump pipes, heat it stretch it and then give it the kidney shape of the flange. I doubt Beaudesert would bother re-welding a cast unit either :p

·
nissan
3,026 Posts
You old bugger! lol :coffee:

Yeah, just about time ta give it away, just one more light bracket, look'n forward to NZ tho, sitt'n on the Sun Princess, drink'n pizz, perv'n on tha chics, more tucker than ya could poke a forky stick at and no fkn EBAY fer two weeks..:D

·
mechanical necromancer
1,682 Posts
You see that?? it's not supposed to look like that....

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
when you replace/repair it... put a flex joint in the exhaust system somewhere near the gearbox.

That's why it broke.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Richo had a problem with his Beaudesert one, called them, they sent another overnight to him.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when you replace/repair it... put a flex joint in the exhaust system somewhere near the gearbox.

That's why it broke.
It does have one, just in front of the gear box.

It's in for repair now.
So all should be good again soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts