Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found out today that i will need surgery on my shoulder after tearing a ligament off the bone playing touch footy (serves me right for playing such a stupid sport)
surgeon said it will have to be open surgery because of where it is in the shoulder i wont be able to get away with arthroscopic.
my arm will need to be in a sling for 6 weeks and it will be up to 3 months before i can go back to work. i am a tree lopper so i cant work with just one arm.

The worst part of it is i dont have private health insurance so will have to fork out 6 grand up front to pay for it! that money was going to be used to buy a diesel central pump and intercooler for the patrol!

I have some insurance forms to fill out from the touch footy competition but that wont pay for the whole lot, and i will still have to pay up front then get reimbursed.

so now i am running over my options for work, if i cant work for three months i will have no money coming in, i am a casual at the moment so i get no sick or holiday pay. and i dont know if there are many places that would take on someone who can only use 1 arm and will only need work for a couple of months.

on the bright side this comes right at the end of my AFL season so i will have the off season for rehab and should be good for the start of next year (will be 6 months after surgery until i can play full contact footy again)

anyway thats my little whinge over. now what to do....:confused:

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Sucks to hear mate, I blew my elbow apart pitching, 5 years later its still in pieces.

used to throw 7 innings/120+ pitches per game, now I cant even throw 2 innings/ 30 pitches before I get intense pain.

6 grand better spent on your health than your car mate.
get well soon.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,018 Posts
Really quickly take out health and income insurance ;)

Seriously though that sucks dude.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I hear they need bricklayers in Bagdad

Sorry to hear it mate!

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Bugger.

The curve balls the life/universe throw at us all from time to time.

Can your parents help you out at all?

Cheers

Justin

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,287 Posts
Bugger! :(

Make sure you do the rehab properly and don't do dumb chit, that will fork it up for later! My sister didn't listen and has had to have it done again. :rolleyes:

Foo

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,588 Posts
I've had both shoulders done lucky was covered by work cover. both times could not drive for 8 weeks and first time back working in 6 months. second shoulder all good after six months but not working anywhere now. and still payed by workcover . my suggestion to you is apply for sickness benefits at least have some money coming in. and like others say do all your physio and rehab properly or you will suffer latter.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,092 Posts
Not a good situation mate. Best of luck with it.
Have you spoken to your boss to see if they can offer any light duties, yard work etc.

A stop go lollypop man would be the go, but you probably need tickets.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,264 Posts
I've had both shoulders done lucky was covered by work cover. both times could not drive for 8 weeks and first time back working in 6 months. second shoulder all good after six months but not working anywhere now. and still payed by workcover . my suggestion to you is apply for sickness benefits at least have some money coming in. and like others say do all your physio and rehab properly or you will suffer latter.
Was just about to say talk to idiot 1,;)

Reactions: GUzdute

·
Registered
nissan
676 Posts
That sucks mate but I'm wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery and hope to see you again out in the patrol yelling out POWER!! someday :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bugger.

The curve balls the life/universe throw at us all from time to time.

Can your parents help you out at all?

Cheers

Justin
Mum and dad are going away to europe just before im gonna get the surgery so i will be home alone for 6 weeks. But ill sort something out

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,588 Posts
and the worst part is if right shoulder and you are right handed wiping your asse is a pain.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a good situation mate. Best of luck with it.
Have you spoken to your boss to see if they can offer any light duties, yard work etc.

A stop go lollypop man would be the go, but you probably need tickets.
Spoke to my boss last night, she knew that i might need surgery but didnt know i would need three months off. There is no such thing as light dutys in my job, you can either work or you cant, so i will need to find something else to do for a couple of months

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,588 Posts
this was sept last year. no driving for 8 weeks and not fit for work for 6 months.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,287 Posts
That vid at the end is cool. :cool:

Foo

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,287 Posts
This weather is enough to drive me to drink. :twisted: Pad

Better make up some more rum first I guess before I start drinking. :punkrock:

Foo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Idiot 1 is so right. Crawling to the toilet in agony, having a crap and then crawling back to bed hoping you've done a through wipe job is not fun..I had a lesion/tumour in my shoulder bone that required open surgery. Also had to cut open the bone and suck out all the gooey insides then replace it with some artificial bone compound. All good now but some dark times after the operation..Do the rehab!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts