Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
nissan GU patrol
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys starting a new project research stage i want to make a conversion kit to fit a boss 290 in my 06 GU reason being dont want to 6.5 chev or a holden engine lol does anyone have some insight on if its been done before or if they can see any big problems with the idea straight up cheers

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,623 Posts
or if they can see any big problems with the idea straight up
yeah, BIG problem.. it's a FORD motor.

is it for show? or a serious 4x4'r?

ya 6.5 V8 chev diesel has alot of low down power/torque.
5.4 or a 5.7 V8 has little low down torque, but alot of power in the top end.

if you want low and high end power/torque...
do a 6.6 Duramax V8 diesel, programable ECU.
ive seen a dyno sheet, for 1 puttin out 600HP and 1100ftp torques.

IMO anyways...

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
Bloke was here today with a GU ute with a 6.5 chev V8 diesel
Big ol thursty lump of turd,were his works
Reckons his 6 cyl diesel F truck pulls harder
Anyway back to topic
2 issues i see

1 Cost of the motor and gear for conversion
2 Who is doin the conversion kits,and whats the costs to fit and approve

Also whats wrong with a FORD motor ???
Isnt the new turbo falcon giving the V8 commodores a hard time ???

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,188 Posts
with the O/H cams you are going to have a hard time getting it under the bonnet also they have a wider V also making it harder to fit....there not a heap of poopy for nothing they also produce more heat.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the Boss motor will fit in a patrol, its no bigger than a diesel chev motor, i know because ive worked on plenty of both.There will be a heap of problems yo will encounter, such as PCM programming, speedo input and module communications - almost everything speedo and driveline related on a BA/f/g falcon communicates via the PCM, BCM and ABS modules.they all need to beable to identify with each other for the vehicle to operate ie start.THe other problem is the PCM needs to know everything about the car ie diff ratio, gear box type etc etc.
your best bet, would be a 4.6L V8 from a mustang, as complete aftermarket control systems are available from the US, and would be an easier conversion (electrical wise) than a BOSS motor.As for the actual fitting, i don't know of any kits available at this stage. know any engineers?

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,187 Posts
They have managed to get around Fords security system and now they can run completely stand-alone.

Do it, Do it now!

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,367 Posts
Someone has done the infinity V8 apprently it worked well but headaches all round? Its on outers anyway...

I would like to see the mighty FORD motor shoved into a trol!

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,188 Posts
we've put the mustang efi engines in cruisers & thats where they should stay only keep the chev's for Patrol's its like a patrol v cruiser, Chev v Ford some things should neveer go together eg: Patrol & Ford.

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
plenty of people have done VH45's and most have regretted it.

Loads of people have done the LS engine conversions, theres even kits available to do it ready made...
you can even buy wiring looms off a bloke on Outers.

GQ351 on outers got the ****s with his 351 blowing up 3-4 times, so went with a 454 in the end.. Likes it much more now.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,686 Posts
we've put the mustang efi engines in cruisers & thats where they should stay only keep the chev's for Patrol's its like a patrol v cruiser, Chev v Ford some things should neveer go together eg: Patrol & Ford.
Ford Maverick?

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
less than 500 cubes, get a diesel. :)

Petrols dont become engines till each pot is above a litre.

But yeah as above, and from Iron Horse's Barra thread, whole lot of work due to the CANBUS.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
Starting outside the square results in ALOT of trial and error (alot of both)
The costs would be very high as opposed to something thats tried and prooved
But hey gotta start somewhere

First port of call would be dept of transport and find out what you can or cant fit legally,
Before shelling out big bucks

"Petrols dont become engines till each pot is above a litre" ?????
Give up the scotch benno

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.