Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m heading over east and meeting up with a mate at Rainbow/Noosa before heading over to Fraser on the 23rd, yes I know it’s gonna be a **** fight with the amount of people but now it looks like it might be a no go altogether cause of the fires that have been going for over a month now there and that were started cause some bell ends couldn’t obey the rules and had to have a fire. Not even sure if they e caught them or not but if the rangers were doing their job and tracking people and vehicles at sites then it shouldn’t be rocket science to do so but his stuff just seems to keep escalating and ruining it for everyone and I’m over it.

Reactions: dkril

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
There are always fires on Fraser. Just now they are particularly bad. Looking at it today, the smoke near Kingfisher doesn’t look as bad as it was, a lot heavier up The Archers way and still smoke over the horizon from Sandy Cape. Hope to put the boat in on Thursday and will have a closer look. We need rain and lots of it.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,149 Posts
Last time I was on Fraser I was sad to see there had been a fire in the dune country around the Ocean Lake area. It's killed off a lot of those old casuarinas that gave us cool shade to camp under, the area holds so many good memories but now it's a mess that'll take decades to grow back.
I hope the fires stay out of the rainforest, that's unlikely to grow back at all. In the dry forest and scrub land, fire is a natural occurrence and cleans things out for renewal, providing we get a bit of rain.
Fraser is beautiful all year round however I stay away in summer, the insects will pick you up and carry you away in the warmer months lol

·
Registered
Nissan
29 Posts
Fraser island is now closed to any NEW arrivals, those on it can stay for now but until the fire is under control I have heard that no more people allowed to cross on the barge. Residents excepted.
So far when I write this is how much has burned.

·
Registered
1992 (GQ) Nissan Patrol Ti Wagon
211 Posts
Each year I go to Fraser. A few times they have been doing burns while we were there. I guess this time they have decided to take advantage of the situation and get it all done now? ..bit of a silver lining?

·
Registered
nissan
11,120 Posts
was there the other week and to be honest it seemed nobody gave a chit at the time. fires burning right to the beach. no rangers, no rfs, nothing. some parts of the beach so thick with smoke you couldnt see your way out of it.
was kind of cool to see but very destructive. place needs rain desperately i guess like the rest of the country.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
About bloody time, there is going to be an inquiry into the Fraser fires, started 7 weeks ago but help only asked for last week.

NP! Disgusting.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,149 Posts
Watched an interview with Happy Valley locals on ABC news this morning. They both looked tired. I hope the villages and resorts survive, they've just got out of Covid lockdown and now an evacuation due to fires.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Watched an interview with Happy Valley locals on ABC news this morning. They both looked tired. I hope the villages and resorts survive, they've just got out of Covid lockdown and now an evacuation due to fires.
All because of NP and their policies.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
This has nothing to do with 'climate change', it is NP management.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
Fire trails are inaccessible, how many have been kept open by 4x4 enthusiasts previously. NP then close them. Fires come in, firefighters can’t get to the fires.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Fire trails are inaccessible, how many have been kept open by 4x4 enthusiasts previously. NP then close them. Fires come in, firefighters can’t get to the fires.
That is exactly what happens and has been happening around our country for decades, I remember track and fire trails being blocked off by greenie invaded state Govt departments decades ago.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,397 Posts
I find it very hard to believe NP didn’t/couldn’t contain this weeks ago.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
I find it very hard to believe NP didn’t/couldn’t contain this weeks ago.
Maybe they wanted to use it as an excuse for a burn off and didn't make the right calculations.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,149 Posts
They do not want to when all the Island is burnt they can blame climate change
...and an excuse to lock more of it away. Access to Watthumba and the west coast will be closed, for "regeneration" which will become permanent due to "track conditions"

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
Greenies are complaining about seawater being dumped on the fires, going to upset the ecological balance. 🙄🙄🙄🤯🤯🤯

Reactions: grumpyone and Foo
1 - 20 of 55 Posts