Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im staying at cathedral so accomodation is sorted.

I plan on taking:

recovery gear
fishing gear
the waeco loaded
beer
a shovel
jumper leads
extra lighting
my vehicle permit
my nikon
clothes
oh and my wife.

have i forgotten anything?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats sorted. its already there on site.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
Soft camping aye?????

How many days?

More beer!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll like Cathedral beach. Plenty of shelter. HOT showers. flushing dunny's. No winds at night, although, you'll hear them through the trees above you. beautiful! Awesome camp kitchen. HEAPS of goannas!

Air down before the point!!! Aim for the big green boat. Have FUN!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
then i guess your all set :)
fuel?

If ya take 3 Jerry's with you, you won't have to fuel untill ya get back to Rainbow. Fill at Rainbow before you go.

How are you getting up there? Via Gympie or up Teewah beach and over Freshwater?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ye mate up through gympie and to rainbow beach. I only ever travel on the big green when crossing to fraser, its my delayed honeymoon. And what better place to have it :)

the wifes never been. We're there for 5 days and as for hot showers and flushing dunnys, thats more for the wife. I like to rough it.

I chose cathedral because of your reccomondation frost, at around $50 a night you cant go wrong.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Go light on the recovery gear, just a strap and shackle/s is all you need. You probably won't even need to air down, the sand on Fraser is excellent at the moment.

Take a hose and fittings if you want to wash the car down while you are there - campgrounds have taps.

Lots of $1 coins for hot showers.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good tip bout the hose and coins

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
If you have a an extra hour or 2 to travel up there, go via Nth Noosa beach and Tewah over freshwater track to Rainbow Beach. You can do it the same time as the highway (but you'll wana see a few sights), but about 500000000 times more enjoyable and a smoother ride! Gime a yell if want maps for it.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
I'll go via the north shore next time too (tides permitting). Definitely a more enjoyable way to get there.

Speaking of tides, Hook Point is ONLY passable during the two hours either side of low tide, don't even think about going near it any other time. The inland alternative track really sucks, so try to ensure you get onto the island during the low tide window.

Sunglasses so you can do some sightseeing with the missus around ;)

You can do a joyflight with Fraser Air, they land at the Maheno (among other places) to collect you. I'd do it if you can.

Don't walk around at night without shoes and a good torch, we saw some pretty ugly big black spiders about when we were there in December.

Take firewood if you want to have a fire.

·
Registered
nissan
1,176 Posts
Id take some Insect repellant too.

Remember if you go via Teewah Beach you need a permit now.

X2 about tides and Hook Point, also remember the Mudlo Rocks (Rainbow Beach) may need to be passed at near low tide, these rocks like to eat cars :)

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Truckster will be along with his Surfrunner pic at any moment now.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Truckster will be along with his Surfrunner pic at any moment now.
Hahahahahahaha , yep i'd def go teewah beach if tides are right , the highway sucks

·
Registered
nissan patrol
94 Posts
No need for the $1 coins the showers are free at cathedral.
Stayed there twice now it's a great spot.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
whats the go with teewah? is it that nice??

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Actually, driving up Teewah beach is almost identical to driving up the Fraser east coast - massive coloured dunes/scrub on one side and endless ocean on the other. But you get to go through Double Island Point, a truly beautiful spot. You can stop there and walk up to the lighthouse for great views, then backtrack a bit to get onto the Leisha Track, which is a short formed track that goes through to Rainbow Beach and the lagoon. Then you continue north up Rainbow Beach past the afore-mentioned Mudlo Rocks.

It's recommended simply because the highway is so dull - and dangerous, there are a number of serious blackspots between Nambour and Gympie. But if you are short of time then the highway is probably the go, there are lots of distractions on the beach route.

You'll pay $6 for the Noosa River ferry, plus the day pass to access Teewah.

Another alternative is to go up through Cooloola Way, dirt road that goes north inland from Teewah Beach. Some of that is fairly scenic and also beats the highway anyday. You can get onto it from the Ponona-Kin Kin road, or via Tewantin. A lunch stop at the Apollonia Hotel at Boreen Point is nice.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts