Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm planning a trip to Fraser at the end of the year and my wife has one stipulation - the accommodation must have air-conditioning. Soft I know, but it's the only way I'll get her there. So I've been considering booking a room at Kingfisher Bay resort. The problem is that I have no idea of how long it takes to get from A to B on the island so I don't know if it's too far away from the action. My brother is planning on going at the same time and camping, fishing etc around Indian Heads. Will this be a long drive from the resort or is it manageable? Is there any other air conditioned accommodation closer?

Any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
If your brother will be at Indian Head, I'd look at Orchid Beach as per 91Shorty's links. Kingfisher is a looong way from Indian Head... it's a big place!

Orchid Beach is a very nice spot, it's close to Waddy Point (good fishing), Champagne Pools and Sandy Cape (a must-see). Eli Creek is a bit of a hike south but you pass the Maheno on the way.

I recommend a trip into the Valley of the Giants, it's marked on HEMA maps.

Reactions: 4X4NQ

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
There's resort style accommodation in Happy Valley. I have a mate who has a house there, we like staying there as we find it very central and close to Eli. We don't find the drive up to Indian head that far as it's a good drive @ 80k's. We get to stop and fish along the way as well. Your times will depend on track conditions and traffic. In august we found that although the tracks were somewhat cut up, they were hard. I did most of it in 2wd. We also went after school hols so absolutely no traffic at all.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
161 Posts
Ive stayed at Kingfisher resort before and whilst it's nice, it's just too far away from everything. Driving back and forth across to the eastern side every day gets very tedious.

It's almost an hour just to get across to the eastern beach, and then at least an hour or more up to Indian head. Also at busy times you will get held up by people stuck on inland tracks, most likely with no recovery gear. Quickest way to get moving when this happens is drive straight up, grab out ur own strap and insist on pulling them out. Snatch them out the way, go around them and carry on.

I'm going first week of November staying at Sailfish on Fraser, which is at Happy Valley.

·
Registered
nissan
1,190 Posts
Ive stayed at Kingfisher resort before and whilst it's nice, it's just too far away from everything. Driving back and forth across to the eastern side every day gets very tedious.

Agree, if you want to see the whole island it may get quite annoying, plus the one lane (two way) track is frequented by "heaps" of tour busses ,and lots of first time sand driving backpackers in renter cars with 40 psi in the tyres ;)

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. May have to rethink Kingfisher. Sailfish looks like it might be a good alternative on the east coast.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
I too would rethink Kingfisher, that could be a pretty inconvenient trip across to your bro. Unless that's what your after to spend quality time with the missus ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Best aircon you can get (IMHO) is camping in the shade with plenty of coldies at Dundaburra in behind the dunes of the eastern beach, 'bout 15km up to Indian Head from there.
Hot showers, good facilities but it is camping!

·
Registered
nissan
251 Posts
As others have said, it is a bit of a hike over the island up to Indian........... but I love the drive, and you can take different routes and see different areas along the way...... it is a couple of hours, but the scenery is awesome!

We have stayed @ KingFisher three times now mainly as the kids fell in love with it, and we don't mind the drive time along the island......

The big thing is to really work out what you and the mrs really want to get out of it........ is it a poolside relaxing holiday with some 4WDing or a fishing centric / 4WDathon...... Oh BTW....the fishing off the Kingfisher Jetty is not bad either.......

Either way you'll love it! it is such a beautiful place! I think next trip for us will be a few days up in an Orchid Beach place and a few in KF'er again for the kids....

Most of the cool stuff is a fair drive from KFer though!

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The feedback was very helpful, thankyou to all. I've ended up booking at Sailfish for 4 nights. Really looking forward to my first trip.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
The feedback was very helpful, thankyou to all. I've ended up booking at Sailfish for 4 nights. Really looking forward to my first trip.
good choice. I am 100 metres away from there right now. Mate has a house at happy valley.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
Not a problem. We came through at low to mid on 32s towing a van and no problems. Beach is a highway at low to 2hrs shy of high atm. Fantastic up here , have my son on his L's driving. Missed it here.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Are you staying on a bit longer Shane? We will be there Friday morning, our camp will be at Waddy Point.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
Hey Murray we are at happy valley. Leavn on sat I think.let me know what time you may be going through. Meet u on the beach for a beer on the way through.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Sounds good, low is at 8:30am on Friday so I'm guessing we'd be passing Happy Valley around then... right on beer o'clock, perfect :)

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow this new forum design is doing my head in. Just have another quick question - tyre pressures for Fraser. What do you guys run your tyres at on the main beach where the speed limit is 80kmh and what pressure for the slower inland tracks?

I bought some of the ABR sidewinder deflators. Was thinking of presetting one pressure for the beach and one for the inland tracks.

·
Registered
nissan
1,086 Posts
Wow this new forum design is doing my head in. Just have another quick question - tyre pressures for Fraser. What do you guys run your tyres at on the main beach where the speed limit is 80kmh and what pressure for the slower inland tracks?

I bought some of the ABR sidewinder deflators. Was thinking of presetting one pressure for the beach and one for the inland tracks.
there is a thread to change back to old style design. i did it and its fine.
i ran my tyres about 25psi the whole time. had a beer with squalo at waddy point, was great to catch up again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts