Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all as the title suggests we are heading up north in the April holidays for two weeks and just deciding where to go. We went up to Fraser about two years ago and now we are heading up that way again and are just unsure, we were thinking about doing Moreton island and then Stratbroke instead of Fraser . I have noticed Moreton is a lot smaller than Fraser but have heard good things about it . Any views or information anyone has on this topic would be greatly appreciated cheers.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,037 Posts
My opinions that I posted in another thread here.

The two islands have quite different characters. As well as being much bigger there is far more to see and do on Fraser but there are also far more people to contend with. Moreton is smaller, has less tracks, less camp sites, less lakes and less attractions as well as having a dearer and much longer barge trip but I've spent more time on Moreton because it is far less crowded during peak holiday times. Having a school teacher wife generally restricts our holiday travel to when everyone else is doing it too.

If you take the bulk amounts of people away then Fraser wins hands down. I don't like crowds though and this tends to keep me away from Fraser.

Cheers,
The Moreton ferry is $250 return with a trailer being the same again, while the Fraser ferry is about $100 return and a trailer about $50 extra. Cost of camping and vehicle permits is the same.

Cheers,

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Fraser is a big place, you can go there a dozen times and still not see it all. I'd spend the ferry savings on more fuel and go to Fraser again, but have a good plan for where you'll go and what you'll do.

·
Registered
nissan
44 Posts
We have done both at Christmas time. Both busy. Both fantastic.

I would go to Moreton. We had over a week and surprisingly haven't seen it all. The camping is superb. We stayed on the South East zone and could not see neighbours.

Moreton is a bit more village like and more of a quiet place. Lots to see and do though.

Try Moreton, its different to Fraser and its not as touristy/back packer like.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
just got back from Fraser, deserted would be a word I would use. We were the only ones fishing!!!! Usual tour buses but not heaps. The barge is $165 from Hervery Bay non peak, $175 peak. Inskip is $110. Those are vehicle only. Inskip, rock up pay the cash 15mins later ya there. Hervey bay, you have to book a time slot and are locked in plus 45min barge ride. easy choice in my opinion. My mate in hervey bay even drives to inskip for their ferry and his house is at Happy valley. On a side note we ran into the 4wd action team at Happy Valley resort...what a laugh....my young son told him my patrol was better then his and he was a pussy in his 4wd dvd's.

Reactions: Squalo
1 - 6 of 6 Posts