Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone could help me out??

Was thinking of replacing the free wheeling hubs with solid end caps..

Is this possible and did nissan do any as standard. If not does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier?

Whats your thoughts on increased wear in the front axle??

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. i find the auto sellecting a pain in the backside as i'm never sure if they've engaged/ disingaged properly....

Its a Y60 4.2 diesel patrol, uk spec.

Thanks!!:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
142 Posts
Hope someone could help me out??

Was thinking of replacing the free wheeling hubs with solid end caps..

Is this possible and did nissan do any as standard. If not does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier?

Whats your thoughts on increased wear in the front axle??

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. i find the auto sellecting a pain in the backside as i'm never sure if they've engaged/ disingaged properly....

Its a Y60 4.2 diesel patrol, uk spec.

Thanks!!:)
The free wheeling hubs can be set to either "Auto" or "Lock" position! If you set them to the "Lock" position the performance should be similar to using solid end caps like the old Series 3 Land Rovers.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I've seen them on other diffs, you may be able to find a cap that has the correct spline that can be machined to fit, as in skim the end off to the right length for the circlip, make a threaded end cap to cover said clip and re-drill the holes to the correct pattern on the flange.
Note that the free wheeling hub mechanism is what holds the cv in the correct place, I had a circlip come off and the cv was free to drift back and forth which destroyed the inner seal and in turn let the oil mix with the grease which washed out the swivel hub seal and filled the rim with nice expensive moly grease and sand in a few hundred km.

I have a vehicle for comp use exclusively, I still run free wheeling hubs on it because If I blow a cv or a front diff centre I can put it in 2wd and continue.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Whats the difference between these Free Wheeling hubs

Does anyone know the difference between the GQ free wheeling hubs?
Part numbers.
40250-J00 & 40250-J01

I think they are for the GU as well?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts