Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking around here for a year and thought I better introduce my self. My name is David and clearly I’m a bit of a slacker lol. I bought my first patrol a bit over a year ago. Coming from owning commodore’s all my life and a VW golf to this 2010 ST Patrol, I bought it in good condition and it’s had a crappy run already with getting T boned and all the mechanical failures but I guess that’s a story for another time.

I bought this car when I had my third child so we could all fit, I like to use it for camping eventually and to venture up the mountains and highlands to look for gold which I’m not very good at. I enjoy 4x4 on the way to a spot but don’t actively seek it the tracks for a sport.

I do consider myself mechanically able to give almost any task ago short of a rebuild that’s why I have joined this forum and it has so far proven to be invaluable for knowledge and a good laugh here and there.

I’m 32 from Campbelltown area Sydney and the car is mostly stock ( I upgraded parts as I brake them and can afford it ). Currently have ;
hpd boost controller set to 16-18 psi
Egt and boost guages in a pillar pod
Roof rack
Stedi hids
Knock off hpd eBay intercooler delivered today
Egr blanked at the manifold
Snap shade custom window shades

I have plans to get all the nads upgrades soon as well as many others, here’s a pic I took today as I don’t do cool **** with it as much as I planned. Thanks for all your time in the past and future. I’ll be hanging around, ps how do I change my username haha.

Dave
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Car

Tire Car Bottle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
144 Posts
that cooler looks like one iv'e been eyeing off . does it have the 280mm long core . i'm interested in how you will get the foam seals to fit from the bonnet . who did you get it from . it looks as though the mounting lug is that far out that it will have to be cut off and re welded .

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that cooler looks like one iv'e been eyeing off . does it have the 280mm long core . i'm interested in how you will get the foam seals to fit from the bonnet . who did you get it from . it looks as though the mounting lug is that far out that it will have to be cut off and re welded .
They were all bent I sent photos and messaged that it was all twisted and they offered me a $25 refund to bent it back and keep it, I had already bent it back with pliers and test fitted, with 20 minutes of mucking around I got it on with over sized washers, going to clean it and my piping to install in the morning for testing, here’s a link,

·
Registered
2011 crd wagon
144 Posts
yep , that's the one i was looking at . good going , i thought that lug was was so out of place it would need to be refitted . on the pic , it shows the end of the core thru the end tank opening , is that what yours looks like , from the outside the core flutes edges are squared ?

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep , that's the one i was looking at . good going , i thought that lug was was so out of place it would need to be refitted . on the pic , it shows the end of the core thru the end tank opening , is that what yours looks like , from the outside the core flutes edges are squared ?
Yea I thought so too but gave it a go and it was easy to bend the ally, yes they are squared, I can send a photo in a few hours if you like.

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no , all good , i thought that internal pic was of a different core . it will be interesting to see what differences you feel performance wise .
Just fitted the intercooler, I had to cut two small stabs of the standard mount. Couldn’t use the standard rubber vibration reducing washers. Bend the intercooler brackets and trim the boost sensor spigot.
Test drive 2km will go for a long drive today. Initial thoughts feel slightly more smooth on the power but I believe it’s in my head and no reduction to egts, however after 100km drive I think those thoughts will change. Also it fits well with the foam for the the bonnet and scoop.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
If the intercooler works at all you should see at least 20c less in EGT on flat road at a constant speed. Short drives tell you nothing as there is no opportunity for stabilisation. Man that was a mess, stayed right out of that as my OCD would havve gone berserk once I started 😱.

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea it was a mess, you get what you pay for! I did about 120km today seen roughly the same egts. Hard to tell was kind of hot may have Ben 50c less at times I think. Not sure I would recommend it unless that’s all your budget allowed. I’ll get a front mount one day but for the moment this is where we are at!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
Yea it was a mess, you get what you pay for! I did about 120km today seen roughly the same egts. Hard to tell was kind of hot may have Ben 50c less at times I think. Not sure I would recommend it unless that’s all your budget allowed. I’ll get a front mount one day but for the moment this is where we are at!
I know front mounts are popular, but, for the amount of work for me to fit one (over and above a good top mount) I struggle to see a reasonable cost/benefit outcome, my CCIC works bloody well.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know front mounts are popular, but, for the amount of work for me to fit one (over and above a good top mount) I struggle to see a reasonable cost/benefit outcome, my CCIC works bloody well.
My 2 cents worth.
Yea I understand, I’m not sure how a cc would go vs a plazmaman fmic which can be obtained for $1700 ish. I wouldn’t know who’s is better but I do like the idea that I don’t have to take the intercooler off regularly to do minor engine work.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
Yea I understand, I’m not sure how a cc would go vs a plazmaman fmic which can be obtained for $1700 ish. I wouldn’t know who’s is better but I do like the idea that I don’t have to take the intercooler off regularly to do minor engine work.
Hmmm! If you have seen my build thread you would know I play a lot, I don't do it all that often but taking a top mount off is no harder than changing spark plugs on a petrol engine.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts