Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week my trusty Weaco cf80 died, all that time sitting on the back of the ute out in the weather finally took its toll on it.

So during the week i pulled the vent cover off to have a look at what the problem might be,
after some testing i discovered the cooling fan was stuffed.

Located a replacement cooling fan at Jaycar for $35:00, (could have got one cheaper on fleabay maybe)
the same size as the old one & only 0.02amps difference.

Installed the cooling fan today & my trusty old weaco is up and running again.

The old cooling fan removed.
the old cooling fan.jpg

The new cooling fan installed.
the new cooling fan.jpg

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey Stumpy, My Waeco 80 doesn't cool but the compressor runs. The fan doesn't spin but I thought that could have been on a thermo switch. I haven't really looked into it much. Is that similar to what yours was doing?

Just hoping mine is an easy fix

Cheers Jim

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Jumankum, i took the vent cover off to have a look inside. With the fridge turned on, it was trying to cool down but the fan was not working.
So i removed the fan to check it out, i hooked up an inline fuse and wired it up to the battery.
The fan did not rotate-found the problem,one stuffed fan.

I don't know if yours has the same fault but you could test the fan to check.

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
yep.
i noticed the replacement fan only has 5 blades insead of 7.
i think this will affect general performance of the fridge espescially at takeoff!!

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,163 Posts
Say what you like !!!!!

Check out some of my vids, i give my fridge heaps. So spending $35:00 on it after 6 1/2 to 7 years is pretty good value to me.

Cheers.
not a bad run really out of it

·
Registered
161 Posts
I pulled my fan out and found the negative wire had broken off at the solder point, soldered that back up and have had the fridge running for about an hour.
Unfortunately its still not cooling. As expected really. Mine was not even getting hot at the coils although the expansion? camber thing is cold

Bummer

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks like a much better quality fan than the standard!
Yeah simonc3, the old fan ran in a brass/bronze bush the new fan uses a ball bearing set up + the blades are stronger than the old ones.

It draws a lot more air through the cooling unit now.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled my fan out and found the negative wire had broken off at the solder point, soldered that back up and have had the fridge running for about an hour.
Unfortunately its still not cooling. As expected really. Mine was not even getting hot at the coils although the expansion? camber thing is cold

Bummer
Was the fan now working once you soldered the wire back on ?
Did you direct wire the fan to the battery using an inline fuse to see if the fan rotates.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Was the fan now working once you soldered the wire back on ?
Did you direct wire the fan to the battery using an inline fuse to see if the fan rotates.
Yes mate, fan purrs nicely, compressor putts away but fridge compartment temp doesnt change. I would assume it must be a gas issue however I can see any evidence of gas leak

cheers

·
Registered
902 Posts
mine does.

my engle blew up recently, new compressor etc, $600 to fix.
X2 My Engel has a fan as well. About eight year old.
It stopped working at one age so I took of the cover and blew out all the sand and dust and spiders from the coils. Hey presto works like a charm again. Nothing like a bit of maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts