Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have been covered but couldnt find anything -

my front air locker compressor when turned on without the locker on fills with air then stops but then about every 40secs it goes on for a second or 2. then when i flick the air locker on it stays on constantly. :confused:

i have looked for leaks and cant seem to find any but hard to check thoroughly. (any ideas how to check for sure would be appreciated)

i went to ARB and they said its a solenoid problem - could this be a possibility???

Also another thing - I pulled out the whole length of my winch cable today to clean it and when i went the wind it in it seemed to get very slow and gutless by the time it was nearly all wound up. why would this be??

Cheers

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
hey mate for the winch,i would say you reached the full duty cycle of the winch motor and it got hot,as for the locker if it aint got a leak in it i would say that it is a solenoid problem as that is what control's the activation of the compressor when it needs it

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I would see if there is air coming out of the front diff breather when the diff lock is engaged (air leaking at the diff lock itself)

The easiest way would be to remove the hose from the fitting on top of the diff housing above the diff centre

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gday fellas

thanks for the info!

So the guy at ARB was onto something when he asked me where the diff breather was?? I thought he was just plain thick!
Should air be coming out of the diff breather when its locked??

what do ya mean by "full duty cycle" - is this normal or is it buggered? dose if go back to normal once its cooled down?

how do ya remove the hose from the fitting on top of the diff housing above the diff centre?

Sorry all these questions but would love to get these problems fixed before Aussie Day as i have Landcrusier Mountain Park lined up.

Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
No there should not be any air coming out of the diff breather when the diff is locked

The breather hose has a spring clip around it that holds it on to the breather fitting on the top of the diff housing (just to the passenger side of centre above where the diff carrier bolts into the housing)

With the vehicle stationary lock the diff & listen or feel if air is coming out of the breather fitting

If it is the locker is leaking air it needs to be removed & inspected to see what the cause is

I assume you have checked all the external air lines & fittings from the compressor to the diff centre for leaks (if the compressor is running constantly with the diff locked it should be a obvious leak)

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Don,

i'll go and have proper check!

whats the best way to check if the front diff is locking??

Also on a different track - with the factory rear diff locks do they only work in 4WD low??

Cheers

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Engage the diff lock ,with the transfer in 2 high,lock the free wheel hubs,jack one front wheel up and see if you can turn it

If it turns the diff is unlocked,if it wont turn the diff is locked

Even if it will turn (diff lock not working) check for air coming out of the breather

Regards Don

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
"my front air locker compressor when turned on without the locker on fills with air then stops but then about every 40secs it goes on for a second or 2. then when i flick the air locker on it stays on constantly. "

That is the solenoid leaking.

As for the compressor staying on when the locker is engaged, it COULD be the solenoid leaking (has happened to me with brand new solenloids) so I think you need to investigate the solenoid a bit more

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,694 Posts
Was your issue just solenoids Yom and did you get it all sorted?
I remember reading a post ages ago where you said you had brand new malfunctioning air lockers iirc.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
If the solenoid was leaking wouldn't this be obvious

Regards Don
I have read through a second time and I can't see where he's indicated he has checked operation of the solenoid.

Only way it would be obvious would be to disconnect the air line from the solenoid, turn pump on and see if it leaks (or stick the airline at the diff end into a jar of water and flick compressor on see what comes out the end).

I only suggest this as mine was exactly the same. Compressor when turned on would cycle all the time even when the lockers weren't be used.

Was your issue just solenoids Yom and did you get it all sorted?
I remember reading a post ages ago where you said you had brand new malfunctioning air lockers iirc.
Long story.

I suspect the workshop is incompetent (or at least their diff guy) but they insist the issue was with ARB's product (which ARB strongly suggest otherwise...I tend to believe them).

Front locker was replaced under warranty but still malfunctioning when engaged. Once I get an opportunity it is going to ARB's warranty office in QLD for proper diagnosis.

Rear diff seems to be sorted out.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yom

If haven't had anything to do with airlockers for quite a few years (haven't had anything to do with the new small dedicated locker compressor) but i would have thought that the solenoid would block airflow from the compressor resivour when the diff lock was in the unlock position,allow airflow through the solenoid to engage the diff lock when the switch is activated & again block air & dump the air pressure from the diff lock when it is unlocked again

If this is the case the solenoid would have to be dumping air externally when you engage the diff lock to make the compressor continue to run when the diff lock is engaged & surely this would be obvious (you would hear & feel it)

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys,

When the diff lock isnt switched on ther is a very small amount of air leaking out of what looks to be the top hole of the solenoid (in the centre of the black plastic screw thing). When the locker is switched on it stops leaking. Also from past experiences with air lockers, when you switch them off normally u can hear a small whistle of air been released.....this isn't happening - should it??

All abit confusing????

Also can someone confirm the question about the rear locker.....does it only lock when in 4wd low?

i appreciate the help!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
If the ARB locker isnt installed properly (as in the internal "O" ring seated correctly or has been pinched/damaged) you will get blow back up threw the solinoid, just the same as you would if the internal "O" is warn out.
THATS JUST ANOTHER REASON TO GO TO THE TJM PRO LOCKER basicly the same locker as ARB but has been modified to external air actuaters (so no more leaky "O" rings) with the addition of other mods to make them stronger internaly than its competitors.
dont forget I do special pricing for forum members
cheers piglet TJM COOPERS PLAINS

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hellppp!

Just been looking at my locker again and now when the locker is switched on the compressor doesnt even start pumping?????

the compressor will fill itself up and cut out but when you flick the locker on - NOTHING HAPPENS NOW - the light on the switch still works but no pumping.

talk about confused?

H

·
Registered
nissan
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Piglet - i think your rite if u are talking about the seals inside the diff housing.

the reason i say this is because i went and purchased a new solenoid and pressure switch and fitted them tonight. I then tried the locker and the compressor continued to keep pumping without stopping at all. So i removed the hose from top of the diff and got my mate to block the end of it with his thumb and the compressor built up pressure and cut out like it should. So therefore is must be in the diff - BUGGER - my mate is a TJM fan and he told me that the ARB seals go fairly easy and it seems that that is what the problem must be.

So would it be better to replace with the PRO Locker and not have this problem again or just repair the ARB Locker - PIGLET what sorta price can you get me for Pro Locker (no compressor) to go on a 99 GU 4.5L??

And would an ARB Air Compressor run a Pro Locker - i hope so?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I used to run ARB AIR LOCKERS, cause that was basicly your only choice in air lockers. you can have it repaired, pull the diff out & bla-bla-bla-bla replace the internal "O"ring & bla-bla-bla put it back in the car again, but this is a reacuring issue with ARB AIR LOCKERS.In my comp rig I would replace the internal "O" ring about every 12 months,but that was a comp rig so they were probably used 3 to 4 times as much as normal cars so in a normal car you are probably looking at anywhere between 2.5 & 5 years depending on use.(ARB dont warrinty lockers in comp rigs, TJM WILL) there are some arb sales people that now have TJM PRO LOCKERS in their comp rigs
we have locked quite a few forum members rigs. I am on anual leave but will be back tomorow (thurs 20th) I will PM you the special pricing.
cheers "piglet" TJM COOPERS PLAINS

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Yom

If haven't had anything to do with airlockers for quite a few years (haven't had anything to do with the new small dedicated locker compressor) but i would have thought that the solenoid would block airflow from the compressor resivour when the diff lock was in the unlock position,allow airflow through the solenoid to engage the diff lock when the switch is activated & again block air & dump the air pressure from the diff lock when it is unlocked again

If this is the case the solenoid would have to be dumping air externally when you engage the diff lock to make the compressor continue to run when the diff lock is engaged & surely this would be obvious (you would hear & feel it)

Regards Don
Thats exactly what mine was doing - was constantly leaking when engaged and disengaged. Except it wasn't able to be felt by hand. Had to wet it to see the bubbles. Was enough to cause the compressor to cycle regularly though.

Once that was replaced then the discovery was that the locker itself was being difficult to engage, and when it did it would not disengage. :p

Poor installation. I think its likely the solenoid was just gummed up with diff oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts