Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, has anyone got an explanation as to why this might be? It's been like this since I got the shell originally, but it was worse then. Dad and I shifted the body over on the body blocks as much as possible while we were doing the engine conversion but it still pokes out more on the passenger. Could I have a twisted chassis from when the P/O had the 351 Cleveland in? I've been at a loss since day dot and can't figure out what could possibly cause this.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Grille Hood

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,753 Posts
As the title says, has anyone got an explanation as to why this might be? It's been like this since I got the shell originally, but it was worse then. Dad and I shifted the body over on the body blocks as much as possible while we were doing the engine conversion but it still pokes out more on the passenger. Could I have a twisted chassis from when the P/O had the 351 Cleveland in? I've been at a loss since day dot and can't figure out what could possibly cause this.
View attachment 538105
View attachment 538106
Are you sure you have the correct panhard rod in there? There is an alignment method I used on my race cars, it is a little complicated to explain and I've just finished beer o'clock, so I'll do it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure you have the correct panhard rod in there? There is an alignment method I used on my race cars, it is a little complicated to explain and I've just finished beer o'clock, so I'll do it tomorrow.
Haha, same mindset as Dad, got coils on the mind. Nope, it's leaf sprung, the leafs locate the axle front-back and side-side, so no need for a panhard.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Must be beer o'clock as I've never seen a panhard on a leaf spring set-up 🤔

Have you looked to see the springs are centred on the diff perches?
I am guessing you have had a good crawl around with a straight edge and tape measure and checked the springs are sitting True.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,753 Posts
Haha, same mindset as Dad, got coils on the mind. Nope, it's leaf sprung, the leafs locate the axle front-back and side-side, so no need for a panhard.
Something strange going on there, diff offset? I'll pm you a method of checking alignment front to rear with a length of string tomorrow.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does it have an adjustable Panhard rod? If so, you should be able to adjust it to centre the axle. The design of the Patrol suspension will see the axle shift to the drivers side with a lift, so the other option is yours has been lowered - stranger things have happened! If not, then consider fitting an adjustable Panhard - doesn't explain why yours is so far across though.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must be beer o'clock as I've never seen a panhard on a leaf spring set-up 🤔

Have you looked to see the springs are centred on the diff perches?
I am guessing you have had a good crawl around with a straight edge and tape measure and checked the springs are sitting True.
Yep, the springs are definitely centered on the perches and pretty sure they're straight, and the wheels are identical, along with being rotated several times without affecting the off centre axle. And yeah, that's now 3 people that have initially told me to check my panhard, no hard feelings though, it's easy to assume a patrol has coils, that's pretty much what they're known for!

Something strange going on there, diff offset? I'll pm you a method of checking alignment front to rear with a length of string tomorrow.
Not sure, but I'll know once I put the 4.3 ute diff into the front of the wagon, not sure if you know or not, but the front diff of the MQ is bolted straight into the housing, it doesn't have a removable carrier like most patrol diffs, so I'll be swapping the entire housing so that I don't have to mess with backlash etc. Maybe then I'll find the elusive MQ panhard :LOL:

Does it have an adjustable Panhard rod? If so, you should be able to adjust it to centre the axle. The design of the Patrol suspension will see the axle shift to the drivers side with a lift, so the other option is yours has been lowered - stranger things have happened! If not, then consider fitting an adjustable Panhard - doesn't explain why yours is so far across though.
Definetly not lowered, unless you count the old sagged leaf springs, the previous owner seems to have installed a body lift instead of buying new springs though, maybe it was cheaper? I dunno :LOL:, seems like he just wanted the lift for the looks, definitely doesn't make any difference 4wding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep - I assumed you had coils....other than the body not being centred, or a bent chassis (which I would have thought would take the body with it and therefore not show the symptoms you have), only other thing I can think of not already mentioned is bent shackles/worn bushes.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
Could be worn spring/shackle bushings, otherwise I'll bet the P/O figured out the hard way that 33s/35s and MQ quarter panels do not play nicely. Body lift then installed to gain clearance.

May be the photo angle but the rear lower side of LH quarter or flare appears to be sitting in a little bit.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be worn spring/shackle bushings, otherwise I'll bet the P/O figured out the hard way that 33s/35s and MQ quarter panels do not play nicely. Body lift then installed to gain clearance.

May be the photo angle but the rear lower side of LH quarter or flare appears to be sitting in a little bit.
Both sides align preperly with the door and sill, so not sure if they're bolted on differently or have been bent in the past, but considering the condition of the rest of the car, I doubt it's ever done much work at full flex. As you can see though the gaps between the quarter and bonnet are different on each side, but I just put that down to 1985 panel gaps never being very good.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Is there a chance the hub assembly's are from different vehicles? Other than that maybe get out the plumb bob and start plotting out some reference points.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,608 Posts
I'm sure it would be pretty obvious but can't tell from those 2 photos but the wheels have the same offset?
Well you have seen it,but have you checked the offset easiest thing to do and in this day and age of sh*t loads of different wheels I would put even money on it,not eliminated 'till whipped off and measured,:sneaky:

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well you have seen it,but have you checked the offset easiest thing to do and in this day and age of sh*t loads of different wheels I would put even money on it,not eliminated 'till whipped off and measured,:sneaky:
Almost completely sure it's not the offset, I've rotated them a couple of times , and also used a set of Dad's GU rims and it didn't change the issue, they're also a pretty unique set of wheels (not necessarily in a good way, at least I don't like them), and I'm sure they would have been bought as a set, I've never seen another vehicle with them. They're an ROH copy a high trim 100 series rim, but with 6 studs instead of 5, so even though you see 100 series' with them, they're not the same:

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is has something to do with the alignement of the bodypanels. I've had some issues with aligning the door hinges, doors, the quarter panels and the wheel flares. I even had to drill new holes in the flares to make it fit properly. One of my quarter panels was also a bit bend.

Try to see if the center lines of the body, chassis and axle align. The quater panel has slot holes, you can try to see if the spacing on the RH en LH are the same

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,278 Posts
Both sides align preperly with the door and sill, so not sure if they're bolted on differently or have been bent in the past, but considering the condition of the rest of the car, I doubt it's ever done much work at full flex. As you can see though the gaps between the quarter and bonnet are different on each side, but I just put that down to 1985 panel gaps never being very good.
The quarters and doors have a bit of movement in them to allow for panel mismatch, also the front quarters can get chewed up without affecting panel gaps to any noticeable degree. Granted its not usually much, but it can make a little difference.
Don't ask me, or my previously straight front quarters, how I'd know.
Also have a look at the little strap in the wheel arch that the forward lower bolt connects to, ensure it isn't bent, and a good look at both front quarters to ensure they both carry the same shape.

Yes I noticed the bonnet alignment, if the hinges have been off before, you can try to loosen them off and realign, or just open the bonnet and give it a good shove to try and tweak the hinges a little.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The quarters and doors have a bit of movement in them to allow for panel mismatch, also the front quarters can get chewed up without affecting panel gaps to any noticeable degree. Granted its not usually much, but it can make a little difference.
Don't ask me, or my previously straight front quarters, how I'd know.
Also have a look at the little strap in the wheel arch that the forward lower bolt connects to, ensure it isn't bent, and a good look at both front quarters to ensure they both carry the same shape.

Yes I noticed the bonnet alignment, if the hinges have been off before, you can try to loosen them off and realign, or just open the bonnet and give it a good shove to try and tweak the hinges a little.
My ‘straps’ in the wheel arches actually aren’t bolted on, not sure why, but when I pull outwards down there it moves the top of the flare covering the tyre inwards. My bonnet has been off before, when we did the SD conversion, and I only noticed it a bit off when we reinstalled it, so probably just a simple “I didn’t bolt it on straight” job. The previous owner seems to have also tried to make the guards non-removable, as they’ve been glued to the body along the top where the bonnet sits, glued to the door sills, and glued to the front panel underneath the grille. Not sure if it’s just for looks or if they rattled and drove him mad, but it makes it a real pain for when I want access behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Christ that's nothing compared to mine. I've just put it down to the horrendous amounts of welding and body work it's had done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check county off manufacture , left hand drive patrols have a offset to the right & the reverse applys to right hand drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Offset as in body to frame? Surely not axle to frame? I might get a tape measure and figure out what's wrong on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts