Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I noticed that on the passenger side oil is leaking at the rear of the knuckle flange.The culprit is probably the axle shaft seal in the trunion socket.
The other side seems OK as there is no oil coming out when I remove one of the bolts on the lower bearing cap of the knuckle flange,only something like dry grease dirt. Is that OK?
My question is,can you change this seal without removing the knuckle flange? That would make things that much easier. I checked the forum but could not find an answer to this question.The car is a 2007 CRD Patrol wagon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Kajo. From memory, this what I did (so a few steps may be missing).
Remove and suspend the brake caliper.
Disconnect the track rod. (steering rod)
Support the nub housing on a trolley jack and secure it so as it can't roll off.
Mark top trunion block as 'top' and bottom one, 'bottom'.
Remove trunions and withdrawer swivel housing on the jack.
Trunion blocks are shimmed so pay attention to what shims went where and make sure you don't overlook any still stuck to the diff housing or inside the steering knuckle.
Remove the axle seal. I use a tool called an injector bar - it's a type of short podgy bar with a 90 degree foot on the end.
Lube the seal's id and od.
When you come to install the seal, use a cylindrical block of steel on the end of the punch that is a s close as possible in diameter as the seal. A 3/4 drive socket with 200mm extension in it usually does the trick.
When you come to install the axle and hub, do your best to not let the axle damage the seal as you slide it in.
Refit everything else and double check bolts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts