Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how common is it to bend the front axle?

A mate of mine over here recommended I get the front axle reinforced to prevent it 'bending'. Has this happened to many of you 'Off Roaders' who might subject their Patrols to a bit more of a pounding than normal?

If so...do I have to remove and strip it down or can gussets be welded in situ? Where exactly does the axle bend?...I would think that the prime location is where the axle tube meets the diff housing?

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
superior engineering do strengthen kit and its quite cheap if you can weld. helped mate fit to his 80series was pretty straight forward.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Just how common is it to bend the front axle?

A mate of mine over here recommended I get the front axle reinforced to prevent it 'bending'. Has this happened to many of you 'Off Roaders' who might subject their Patrols to a bit more of a pounding than normal?

If so...do I have to remove and strip it down or can gussets be welded in situ? Where exactly does the axle bend?...I would think that the prime location is where the axle tube meets the diff housing?
You would have to be hitting some really rough terrain to need that, they are one of the toughest units around, sure they bend but man it takes a fair bit of effort. This truck of yours will be the envy of the forum soon :).

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Bent two housings, One on the drivers side ,hit a very large pothole . The second was the passenger side , after slipping sideways over a bank and landing front wheel against a tree.
No jumping needed. They do bend quite easy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
762 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats pretty much what we used to see on the Rally Raid Defenders.....I always thought that the Patrol's had a strong axle....just goes to show eh.
I may well have my shop add some gussets in situ for for precautionary measure.

Thx for the pictures.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
For some reason GU housings seem to bend easier than GQ's, probably from the leverage caused by the extra width.
It's most common for them to bend at the knuckles (trunions) but they do bend along the axle tubes aswell.

You can weld on the strength without stripping the housing down, but the heat from welding will be likely to damage the inner axle seal. If you do weld without stripping then make sure you replace fluids afterwards.

Be careful with heat distribution when welding or else you'll distort the housing.

Also be carefull if placing a brace over the top of the housing coz you might find it wants to share space with your sump.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Streaky my GQ had a bent axle, and had it replaced from the agent. Also seen one of me4x4 marshalls' axle bent on a his Auto GU, which he replaced as it was chewing gears.

They bend, due to the weight of the engine, especially the petrol versions and dune driving, add steel bumper, winch and dual battery and you have more weight than the axle can handle. The front axle is the Achilles heal of the patrols, but the damage is not crippling to the car, and if it goes, it takes a while and gives you enough warning.

I thought this was a good solution..not as heavy duty as the above posts.

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
Hey Vanhack, what size tyres are they in the pic, 405-70 R?

Also noticed that you're steering damper is attached to the diff centre? Never seen that before.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey Vanhack, what size tyres are they in the pic, 405-70 R?

Also noticed that you're steering damper is attached to the diff centre? Never seen that before.
This is not my car, I believe that this maybe a GQ, I kept the photos when I had a bent axle on my GQ, looking to find a solution to repair the bend, ended changing the housing as Nissan gave me a great price. :D

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
And you've lowered your panhard chassis mount aswell, cool. Did you lower the steering box to suit or just flipped the draglink under the pitman arm?

Edit, just seen that it's not your car haha, my guess is it was built in Iceland.

·
Registered
281 Posts
And you've lowered your panhard chassis mount aswell, cool. Did you lower the steering box to suit or just flipped the draglink under the pitman arm?

Edit, just seen that it's not your car haha, my guess is it was built in Iceland.
yeah that's right Iceland, they do have some clever welders out there

1 - 14 of 14 Posts