Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, driving home from work the other day and I notice a new vibration/sound...

Quite faint but definitely new...and it appears to come on when pushing the brake pedal, so pull over and have a look.

Luckily, there is a little bit of grease (from swivel hubs) coating the inside of my rims and I can see a score line where something has been rubbing on the rim...it's the brake caliper.

On closer inspection (laying under the truck) the top bolt holding the caliper on is missing and the bottom bolt is loose, allowing the caliper to rotate outwards and rub on the rim when brakes are applied....BUGGER!

Limp it home and fit a new top bolt, tighten both and check the other side, all good, but, bit of a shock...

Lucky I found it before the bottom bolt worked all the way out!

Pretty sure there has been no work on this hub recently (I certainly haven't been in there), and not sure if this is common (I hope not)...

Will inspect on a regular basis from now on though.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,577 Posts

Quite faint but definitely new...and it appears to come on when pushing the brake pedal, so pull over and have a look.

Luckily, there is a little bit of grease (from swivel hubs) coating the inside of my rims and I can see a score line where something has been rubbing on the rim...it's the brake caliper.

On closer inspection (laying under the truck) the top bolt holding the caliper on is missing and the bottom bolt is loose, allowing the caliper to rotate outwards and rub on the rim when brakes are applied....BUGGER!

Limp it home and fit a new top bolt, tighten both and check the other side, all good, but, bit of a shock...

Pretty sure there has been no work on this hub recently (I certainly haven't been in there), and not sure if this is common (I hope not)...

Lotto ticket time !

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Difference between someone who knows their vehicle and cares,
to someone who's mechanical knowledge is based on a mobile phone and a credit card.
Well done STIC.
Currently teaching my 4x sons to listen, feel and think when they're driving.
Saves a lot of cash and inconvenience in the long run.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just had the totally exact same scenario on my 98 GU wagon.
Thread on the hub is totally undamaged . All others are tight and also never been apart in the 2 1/2years I’ve owned it.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
828 Posts
I had it happen on one of my GQ's years back too , it happened out of the blue when driving home after a trip , I used to have the front end apart a lot back then replacing CV and other Chit I would brake when I had less mechanical sympathy .
I always thought I must have just been a little slack and not nipped it up correctly , but ever since then when ever I have the wheels off I still check them even on my current GU . it's interesting to know it's not exactly common , but not unheard of either .

·
Registered
nissan
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So warrant of fitness time (6 month inspection) and rear brake balance is way out...

Discs are half worn on one side and damn near paper thin on the other (plus grooved and uneven too)...

Took to local Pit Stop, brand new pads and brand new rotors on both sides, fitted...$349NZ all up, inc labor...

I thought that was pretty damn cheap...

·
Registered
nissan
1,721 Posts
[QUOTE="Batt's, post: 6982754, member: 46336"
Opens your eyes up hey. About 16yrs ago I had a 1986 Landcruiser Sahara lost one bolt other came loose on front caliper which moved when braking which broke the brake line pipe brakes went spongy then had nothing. Wife, daughter in car I was slowing for a dip on a gravel rd near Emouth a bit of handbrake down the gears glad it was a diesel I found the problem then drove around 120k steady back to Coral Bay where we were on holidays took 3 days to get parts in.

My wife had an issue like mine a few yrs earlier but with a Camry at traffic lights 80k zone was able to pull up with handbrake down gears.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
nissan
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, bugger me if the bolt didn't work loose again...

Have replaced bolt and, this time, used a decent washer AND a spring washer, but going to have to check at regular intervals now...

·
Registered
nissan
1,721 Posts
I'm no brake guru but maybe the thread is stretched or worn or something I would put some thread lock on it for now and see how it goes unless someone thinks that's a bad idea. You may also need to look at replacing the mounting bracket and start with new bolts again to be safe.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,577 Posts

Loctite !

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spring washer fixed it...probably means it was a vibration issue; however, the pads were a bit worn so I chucked new ones in just to round it off...

·
Registered
Nissan
14 Posts
Always worth replacing the caliper bolts new when doing brake pad changes. The caliper bolts are supposed to be replaced every time they are removed as I’m pretty sure they are a torque bolt (they stretch). Mind you I haven’t done that so should probably take my own advice 😆 Like dist leads. Supposed to replace every year or like 20,000km. 5yrs later...still on the car. It’s hard sometimes between “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it” and “ahh, [email protected] I knew I should have fixed it sooner” 🙄🤔

1 - 12 of 12 Posts