Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gday people, ive searched through the forum for a previous thread and couldnt find anything so i figure ill ask it now.

i went up to wombat yesterday and when i got stuck on a clay incline i engaged 4x4 as you do, the front end didnt want to spin. now i am new but the hubs were locked, and the tailshaft was turning in 4h and 4l and wasnt in 2h so im guessing my transfer case isnt the problem. the rear end was also spinning as it does but every now and again the driverside wheel just stopped and got power again, this was funny to me as the car has a pretty good lsd and when the cars on the spot i figured that both wheels should turn anyway. i also tried to turn the front wheels on a wet grass hill (with minimal traction as possible) to see if it would turn and still nothing. ive thought that it might have been the clutch on its way out but it still works good enough to bag up the wheels on the road so i dont think its that anymore. im stumped, anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Are the hubs Manual or Auto?

Put transfer in 2H.
Lock hubs, then jack up one front wheel. If you spin the wheel that's off the ground, does the front driveshaft spin?
Repeat on the other front wheel.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 89 tb42
86 Posts
Do you a front locker installed as posted or is it still a open front diff centre if so, sounds like all the weight of truck on the incline in clay was the main cause of lack of traction to drive out best investment for this big trucks is a front locker or a winch what ever you can afford good luck mate

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
sounds like dodgy hub not locking, common prob, do as geecee said, jack up each front wheel at time with hubs locked and spin wheel, tailshaft should spin also, put in 2h or neutral while doin it

·
Registered
nissan patrol
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gday fellas, took a bit longer than i wanted it to, but i did exactly what you did, jacked up one side, and the tailshaft didnt spin, same for the other side and i even jacked up the whole front end and turned one locked hub (and both were locked anyway) and turned it and nothing happened, seems like the wheels are not connected to the center at all. now i really got no idea, could the center have crapped itself?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would have said that too but dont you usually hear of feel something in that case? and would both side go at the same time? i drive the car and it has no knocks, grinding, squeeling, nothing. axels and cv's tend to clunk when the give way dont they?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
if you break a cv then yes it normally sounds nasty, but if the axel clean breaks across then you wont hear a thing, i clean broke an axel and didnt realise it till i got stuck with a popped bead and the wheel wasnt turning with the air locker turned on

the front diff if standard is an open center and if you have a broken axel it will only spin the center and not drive any wheels

1 - 10 of 10 Posts