Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #1
i have done searches but what i need to no is that is the front of a sd33n/a mk ute same ratio as a wagon petty.....

my manual states this is correct but i want to be 100% sure or else ill break something

Registered
nissan patrol mk
check your id plate in the engine bay, you can check the ration on that, this has been covered just resently. Make sure both numbers match, if so, then yes no worries in swapping them over :)

Registered
service manual covers MQ. im pretty sure mk sd33 na utes were 4.8 ratio, especially if they have the big H260 rear diff. petrol wagon, which petrol engine. l28 are all 4.6 afaik, but some p40 are 4.1 i think.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
L28 MQs are 4.625
SD33 n/a MQs are 4.625
MQ P40 are 4.11
MK SD33 T are 4.33

Interesting re the H260 ratios ???

The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
yeah I knew there where 4.88 but did not know what they where in. There not all that common are they? Would be good to bolting to mine, for running 35+ tyres

Registered
yeah I knew there where 4.88 but did not know what they where in. There not all that common are they? Would be good to bolting to mine, for running 35+ tyres
they are H260 rear, so the gears wont bolt into your H233, and its a big motha of a diff to swap lol. ive seen P40 wagons with the H260 so im guessing these are 4.1, meaning H260 rear diffs are 4,8 or 4.1, not 4.3 and 4.6

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
The H260s are a big ars diff
Look heaps bigger than the standard diff
My Ute has the H260 rear,
Which is a bugger really cause i cant run the airlokka rear from my shorty in the ute
Bugger ,bugger,bugger

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #8
Well my plate says hh48 so I'm guessing by the info is the bif diff cos my rear is indeed BIG!!! So what should my front diff ratio be?? 4.625?? Also can some one further explain the test where I lift the front off the ground and turn the wheel. 4 wheel turns of the wheels is 6 tails acts revolutions??

Zthanms for the hassle

Registered
hh48 stands for 4.8...

There're iranian Y160 Patrols with 4.0 petrol - with H260 axles. Don't remember the ratio... But they're full-float and really huge. Friendly wrecker offered them to me about month ago.
And there're ones with 2.4 petrol - usual C200 front and H233 with offset rear. Ratio is 4.88 - seen them with my own eyes. And the're still on sale here.

For now I have 5.14 in my axles - from Y260 n/a. But my H233 without offset and I don't know if this ring and pinion fit SD33 H233.
And there were Y260 with Z24 engine - with 5.8 ratio.

Registered
Well my plate says hh48 so I'm guessing by the info is the bif diff cos my rear is indeed BIG!!! So what should my front diff ratio be?? 4.625??
the front and rear ratios are always the same. if they werent, one end would be driving faster than the other, im sure you can see how this would not work!
Also can some one further explain the test where I lift the front off the ground and turn the wheel. 4 wheel turns of the wheels is 6 tails acts revolutions??
if your diff ratio is 4.8:1, it means for every 4.8 turns of the driveshaft the wheels will turn 1 time.

turn the wheel until something on the driveshaft is in a reference position. i usually spin it until the grease nipple is pointing to 12 oclock. now mark a little line on your tyre at 12'oclock. now slowly turn the wheel 1 full revolution (ie 12 to 12). as you do this count the amount of times the driveshaft turns. this will be your diff ratio.

from memory, if you do this only lifting one wheel, with an open diff the driveshaft will only turn at half speed (because of the spider gear arrangement etc). it will be fairly obvious anyway if your driveshaft spins 2+ times or 4+ times. if it does spin half speed, then it will spin 2.4x, so it will be pointing ~5 oclock (if it were spinning clockwise. if it was spinning anti, just spin the wheel the other way, to keep it all logical).

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #12
well i took the cover off my diff this arvo and had a look what was stamped on the crown wheel.... it is 39.8 and my other diff is 37.8 so im im assuming 39.8 is 4.8...
well i hope so :confused:

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #15
I seeeee. Dam this is confusing :/ But atleast I have the right diff now. I'll e adding a did swap to my list then :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts