Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed front drive shaft is out of phase. My maintenance manual does not mention this but one photo I found appears to show the same. Does anyone know if this is normal?
2002 GU 3.0L

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
100 Posts
as far i know it should be in phase same as the rear. i have only seen hilux's with them out of phase. i'd say yours have been removed at some stage for new uni joints and they have pulled it appart to service the slip joint and placed back out of phase.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
What is meant by drive shaft is out of phase?

cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To the best of my knowledge the drive shaft has not been removed before. Will be seeing mechanic in the morning so will ask if he has removed before.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Suggest you post a pic to show what you mean by "out of phase".

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,689 Posts
If both drivshafts are in "phase" then it is a fluke.
Think about it. If you were to drive in 4WD all the time then it might be possible.
In reality, you drive in 2WD most of the time so the rear driveshaft will will be spinning without the front.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Nothing to do with front V's rear shafts.
The yokes when aligned as in the attachment are in phase. Any out of phase of the yokes will cause small in/out movement of the shaft as the universals rotate. This is a 2-piece shaft but you get the idea.
However a lot of manufacturers do run out of phase shafts to try to reduce inherent propshaft vibration due to design faults.
The most common fault is non-parallel drive flanges and I'd guess this could be an issue with the old fashioned beam axle on Patrols.
Commodores (from VN on with live axle) ran out of phase prop shaft but they still always vibrate when taking off. You can play with the phase angle but all you'll do is move that vibration to a different RPM.
Once you go to an independent axle, no more problems.

·
Registered
612 Posts
some 3ls where set up this way

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah have had a look at a number of GU Patrols today and they are all the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts