Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Thought i would share this little temporary solution i have made for my GU.

I have installed drop boxes and a 3" lift last weekend and now the front swaybar link pins are about 50mm to short to even reach the bracket.

After installing the lift i decided i would just drive the car with no sway bar for a couple of weeks untill i can order some extended links and shop around to find some i like.

Once i started driving without the sway bar it was horrible, felt like a wombat which has had a long session down at the pub!!!

So i decided to throw together a temporary solution which actually surprised me how well it worked.

Off i went to bunnings and bought a 2 x m10 threaded couplers (40mm long is all they had) and 2 x m10 bolts.

I used the original link pin nut on first and wound the coupler down ontop of it to lock them in position, then lined up the bushes and put the bolt down through the top.

All up it cost me less then $5!!! Ill leave them in there for a while and see how long they last but i cant see why they wont work.

I know its not as strong as an aftermarket link, but if it lasts a while thats good enough for me. The car drives perfect again on the road and might take it for a 4x4 trip and see if they hold up.

Will keep you posted!

Jason.

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Mate that's awesome, looks like you need a bit more length to level the sway bar (optimum), ive got a 2'' lift and im running commodore link pins , mine are about a inch too long for a 2 inch lift, I was going to get them cut and welded, but look, if you would be interested to swap for what you have, let me know.

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mate that's awesome, looks like you need a bit more length to level the sway bar (optimum), ive got a 2'' lift and im running commodore link pins , mine are about a inch too long for a 2 inch lift, I was going to get them cut and welded, but look, if you would be interested to swap for what you have, let me know.
Yea i was hoping to get 50mm couplers as that would have made it level, but its only a tiny bit higher then level so not to worry.

Happy to sway if your interested in them. What is the length from pin to underside of bracket (top side of bottom bush) on the sway bar links you have?

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
From the centre of pin (swaybar) to the underside of the chassis mount, I have exactly 200mm .

If you have somewhere around 150mm for the same measurement, then I think we would both benefit from a swap :)

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately I don't think its going to work. Mine are actually longer then the ones you have! I think mine need to be 10mm longer to level out the swaybar so ill keep on the hunt for some 50mm couplers! Bunnings only had 40mm in m10 grrrrr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts