Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Good Morning to everyone I have a question regarding front hub locks as i have a 2002 ZD30 wagon it has automatic hubs locks but my mechanic advised me to change into manual and he installed hulk manual hub locks and those ones didn't work properly so do I go back to genuine automatic ones or is there any other good manual hub locks .

Thanks.

Regards Garry

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,689 Posts
No reason to change to manual hubs. Autos are just fine as long as you know how to use them properly. Just manually lock the auto hubs before you hit the rough stuff and you’ll be fine.

Autos got a bad reputation because they lock/unlock in auto mode when you go forwards/backwards in a big hole. This causes shock loading that breaks them. If you lock them beforehand they’re just as good as any manual hub.

But autos still have an advantage over manuals when you hit an unexpected patch of rough terrain, because you don’t have to get out and get your shoes dirty when you’re already in it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
54,696 Posts
Hi Good Morning to everyone I have a question regarding front hub locks as i have a 2002 ZD30 wagon it has automatic hubs locks but my mechanic advised me to change into manual and he installed hulk manual hub locks and those ones didn't work properly so do I go back to genuine automatic ones or is there any other good manual hub locks .

Thanks.

Regards Garry
I'm still running my auto hubs after 22 years of tracks, sand and general off roading, nothing wrong with them, I rarely use the manual lock unless I think I'm going to be reversing a bit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I fitted manual hubs so I could do hill starts in low range with the caravan without diff wind up.
Worked a treat but never got to use them in anger as two weeks later the car was written off in a head on MVA.
They are new and good quality and still in my shed as I refitted originals before the car was taken away.
For sale for $100 plus Pack and post.
Gary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts