Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
Ive been spending time on my mates truck but now its mine with a problem (BUGGER!!!)

GU1 2.8TDI - So i had a clicking noise when i drive around, it is coming from the left front wheel and only clicks when im going in a straight line, as i turn it sort of disappered.
Got home and did the wheel bearings thinking it was this, replaced with new. The old ones were a little worn but nothing major, good for spares. took it for a drive and click click click down the road i go.

Jumped in this morning and started driving, click click click went over a bump on a corner then heard a massive grinding noise like someone dragging a big piece of steel over concrete. Again came from the left front wheel. stopped and had a look obviously not seeing anything, so i limped her home with the click click starting to send a slight shudder through the truck.
I thought it might be the CV or what ever our patrols have, but reading some of the other posts it is also sounding a little like the front auto hub.

Im booked into the mechanic on Wednesday next week but im wondering if its just the hub then i can fix that up myself.

Any help would be appriciated before a go pulling things apart.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
could be the hub or they cv... has it affected the steering? as i'm assuming you aren't off road and not in 4wd i would say its the auto hub. undo the allen key bolts and remove the hub. see if it still does it... mine click and carry on when i'm in 4wd and haven't manually locked them. with the hub off you should be able to turn the tail shaft by hand too, which shoud tell you if the cv is grinding around in there. GL

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, has not affected the steering.
On thinking about it more and more, and with reading some of the other posts Paul supplied, it is much more likely that the hub has gone, as the CV should not be spinning when in 2 wheel drive.

Correct me if im wrong but the hub spins around the drive shaft and only when the motion of the drive shaft is engaged via the transfer case are the hubs actually connected to the shaft giving the front wheels the drive.

However if im right there, i may still be up for a hefty bill because if the Hub has blown then its possibaly done dammage to the drive shaft splines due to all the metal pieces.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Nope, has not affected the steering.
On thinking about it more and more, and with reading some of the other posts Paul supplied, it is much more likely that the hub has gone, as the CV should not be spinning when in 2 wheel drive.

Correct me if im wrong but the hub spins around the drive shaft and only when the motion of the drive shaft is engaged via the transfer case are the hubs actually connected to the shaft giving the front wheels the drive.

However if im right there, i may still be up for a hefty bill because if the Hub has blown then its possibaly done dammage to the drive shaft splines due to all the metal pieces.
When the hub is in the lock position, it will rotate the axle & drive shaft. The opposite is said when in the unlocked position.

Pull the auto hubs off and give them a descent clean, lightly grease them & throw them back on before you go spending unnecessary money. 9 out of 10 times they just need a good service.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Until i get it off i guess i wont know what im up for.
Im only going by what i know as a marine mechanic and when something makes a noise as bad as this thing did it makes one worry.
Will rip it off tonight and have a fiddel. Get back to you guys in the morning.

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Righty Oh,
I took the hub off last night, it does seem to be a little worn but nothing major when compared to the right hub.
What i think may have happened is that when i did the wheel bearing i didnt locate the locators properly. this wouldn't have aloud it out of the lock position (im guessing there) or may have been locking it and unlocking it as i drove along.
Dont know what the noises were but with the hubs on opposite sides it has cleared up.
I still have a clicking noise but it seems to be from the rear now. I have another set of rims and tyres so i will throw them on over the weekend and see if its something in the tyre that i cant see.
Its not the CV's as i locked it into 4x4 this morning and did lock to lock forwards and back and there is no noises. It would be very rare for these CV's to go as im the 2nd owner and a was good friends with the last owner. He never went off road.

So lets just wait and see what happens shall we.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok,
Went to town on the truck over the weekend, Mainly just taking things apart and giving everything a good clean, swapped wheels over to my road tyres and hey presto, all the noises have cleared. The old girl is running smoothly, and im happy i got away with not spending any money. plus from pulling things a part and just down right getting in a having a go i learned a few things about the patrol.

Cheers guys. thanks for the help. you saved me a trip to the mechanics.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Just remember to have the Hub assembly set in “LOCK” position? when installing or this will cause issues if not done correctly which is what I now suspect / may have been you problem?.

Or was that "Unlocked", you will know which position is correct when you do/did it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Troy - I am pretty sure the ticking noise was coming from the tyre/wheel. i can not confirm that there was anything in the wheel though but once i swapped from my steel rims with 33 muddies to my aftermarket alloys with 32 roadies the noise went away. the noise from the hub was my mistake.

Paul - What happened was i had the hub in lock but i didnt locate it properly with the tabs and shaft when reinstalling it.
Unfortunatly for me i think there was a bit of mis diagnoses as a number of noises came up at once. Mainly the aircon pump belt had loosened and happend to squeel as i went around a corner, giving the ellusion of the bearing squeeling.
In other words i shat meself and went to the worst case scenario.

It still propted me to do some much needed maintenance and again with out help from the forum i would not be as happy as i am now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts