Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting some opinions on the new arb and tjm lockers before I commit to buying either

I've heard a lot of people complaining about seals in the new ARB units but haven't heard much on the TJM

any real life experiences would be great

·
Registered
133 Posts
arb

I Have arb lockers in mine front is older but the rear is only about 2 year old not sure if they have changed since then but the front and rear have a different seal setup in them. and Tony Roberts is a family friend and we have about the seal setups before and it seems the main problem is check for machining marks where the seal runs if there are any either send it back or if they aren't bad get a rub with fine sandpaper. the other and most likely fault is not being installed right. I have had the front locker in for about 5 years and the rear for about 2 and had no problems at all with either.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ive got a tjm front pro locker had it for about 2 months now? fitted it my self, i have an endless air setup on my ute and with the 15L air tank filled up to about 90psi, i can use the locker for 2 mayb 3 full weekends before it needs to be re filled. im not sure on the arb lockers but from what i hear they need a fair bit of psi to lock in? i have also hear that the tjm pro locker only needs about 3psi to lock in, im not sure about that but ive used the tank with 20-30psi in it and it locked fine. as i said im not sure on the recomended air pressures but i have been told tjm need far less then arb, but thats just what i here.

·
HID Retrofits
1,891 Posts
This is the second Patrol i've had that has the TJM Lockers. I had them in my Comp truck and now i'm running them in my daily driver.

The guy who bought my front diff out of my comp truck when I parted it out actually works for ARB In there Research and development and this was for his own 4wd.:p

I think that says something for the TJM lockers on there own.

Shop around as the TJM Lockers are usually the same price or a touch cheaper.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
209 Posts
ARB hands down

i call TJM for a price on a locker they told me $1500 and $1258 trade
ARB was $1250 or $1350 and 1100 trade
TJM PRO LOCKER rrp = $1295 & includes the bearing kits, not $1500

TJM have external actuators (arb have internal actuators with "O" rings)

We have sold a few to arb staff who race the comp scene to put in their own comp rigs.

DONT FORGET!! PATROL 4X4 FORUM MEMBERS get special club discounts from
TJM COOPERS PLAINS..BUT DONT FORGET TO ASK FOR PIGLET as I am personaly
handeling forum members.

IAN McCLENAHAN "PIGLET"
TJM COOPERS PLAINS
959 Beaudesert rd
Coopers Plains (sth Bris)
(p) 07-32778255
(f) 07-32778446
(m) 0411444897
(e) [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had arb lockers for 5 years now, raced winch challange for 3 and a half and now have them in my daily driver and have never had a problem with them. I remember when the prolocker came out they had heaps of problems with them leaking air. They have only been around for a few years, to me arb have been around for ages and trusted by everyone ive ever spoken to, where as when i raced everyone was steering away for the prolocker. It would be good to hear from someone that has had one for a couple of years, just to see how they hold up after a good beating. Just my 2 cents.

·
4x4 Addiction
9,534 Posts
I've heard a lot of people complaining about seals in the new ARB units but haven't heard much on the TJM
The old ARBs had leaky o-rings the new versions that came out few years ago has a steel x-ring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sounds to me like either of them would be a good choice. Both companies have a good warranty and Aust wide back-up. I personally haven't heard a bad thing about either of them.

·
HID Retrofits
1,891 Posts
I have had arb lockers for 5 years now, raced winch challange for 3 and a half and now have them in my daily driver and have never had a problem with them. I remember when the prolocker came out they had heaps of problems with them leaking air. They have only been around for a few years, to me arb have been around for ages and trusted by everyone ive ever spoken to, where as when i raced everyone was steering away for the prolocker. It would be good to hear from someone that has had one for a couple of years, just to see how they hold up after a good beating. Just my 2 cents.
Incorrect they where around for many years prior to TJM owning them. They are rebadged Mcnarmara Lockers which I think may have been around before ARB.

My comp truck was running 42s and had a set of the original Pro Lockers in them and they never leaked air. Have you got any links to wear you have read of them leaking air as i've never heard of that before not here or on Outer Limits.

The ARB lockers on the other hand there are millions of threads of them leaking.

Cheers Mick.

·
HID Retrofits
1,891 Posts
Sounds to me like either of them would be a good choice. Both companies have a good warranty and Aust wide back-up. I personally haven't heard a bad thing about either of them.
ARB don't warrent if your runnning bigger then 31s unless thats changed but TJM don't have a restriction on tyre size on there warrenty. This was a big selling point for me.

Cheers Mick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would pick a auto lokka in the front.. Just easier to live with when wheeling around the bush.. I have had mine in for 12 months now and been very happy with it. Just my 2 cents worth...
Allan

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i have an ARB front and i fitted it myself , i had never pulled apart a diff before ( replaced but not pulled apart ) i just followed the instructions and made sure the floating bit with the rubber seal / o rings sat nice with no tension on it pulling or pushing or twisting on the seal , it has never leaked air , i dont get oil comming up the air tube , the whole thing has never given me any trouble

except breaking cvs but thats not the diffs fault

·
HID Retrofits
1,891 Posts
We never really heard the outcome of this one. It could have been a faulty locker or poor insulation. My first 2 pro lockers where 2 of the very first sold they handled 42inch tyres and competing at Tuff Truck.

This one there is no problem it was just a couple of people assuming they where pulled off the shelf because of faults. They where never pulled off the shelfs. They just couldn't keep up supply. The truth was they where having problems getting parts made or machined to there specs. This was not a design fault like the rumor mill said.

By the way neither thread mentioned anything about them leaking air which is what I was questioning. If you want to do the same search for ARB there would be thousands of threads.

Cheers Mick.

·
Banned
75 Posts
4wd Action issue 148 has all the info you need. Best auto locker went to Detroit. Best air locker went to ARB. Personally I'd stay away from an auto locker for the front as it limits you running hi-4. A mate has an auto locker in the front of his navara & & sometimes he finds it nearly impossible to steer (Rare occasions) I get the same with the air locker but can switch it off.

Think you wouldn't go wrong with either an ARB or TJM. I've got ARB & went that way because they gave me a better deal than TJM. ARB's air compressor out done the TJM version but TJM are or should have by now got something as capable. In the end I'd fit what was the better deal out of the two.

cheers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OL do the Elocker from Harrop Eaton. Just another option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
4wd Action issue 148 has all the info you need. Best auto locker went to Detroit. Best air locker went to ARB. Personally I'd stay away from an auto locker for the front as it limits you running hi-4. A mate has an auto locker in the front of his navara & & sometimes he finds it nearly impossible to steer (Rare occasions) I get the same with the air locker but can switch it off.

Think you wouldn't go wrong with either an ARB or TJM. I've got ARB & went that way because they gave me a better deal than TJM. ARB's air compressor out done the TJM version but TJM are or should have by now got something as capable. In the end I'd fit what was the better deal out of the two.

cheers.

Hi,

Sorry to dredge up an older thread. Why though would running an auto locker limit you running in high range 4wd?

I'm thinking about putting a detroit in the front of my GU. Know another bloke who's running one and loves it.

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts