Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ,
I know I have seen pics of a front mount cooler on a GU but for some reason I can not find it again .
The guys running front mount coolers are you getting better performance or is there any benefit in having a front mount vs top mount ?
I have a Di and I would like some info if possible
thanx in advance

·
Registered
nissan
1,842 Posts
FMIC's are better in everyway, mainly because they dont suffer from severe heat soak from the engine beneath.
The down side is that throttle response is generally effected, especially when the piping is a lot longer, although the words throttle response and patrol dont really go together. They also impede flow through the radiator so you have to be careful when doing this to an engine that runs pretty hot (ZD).

The only reason a top mount is favoured is cost (much less materials) and sometimes engineering wont permit a FMIC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys ,
I know I have seen pics of a front mount cooler on a GU but for some reason I can not find it again .
The guys running front mount coolers are you getting better performance or is there any benefit in having a front mount vs top mount ?
I have a Di and I would like some info if possible
thanx in advance
Im running a front mount in my GU, flows alot more air doesnt increase engine temps and reduce the exhaust temps its a win win...

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,771 Posts
FMIC's are better in everyway, mainly because they dont suffer from severe heat soak from the engine beneath.
The down side is that throttle response is generally effected, especially when the piping is a lot longer, although the words throttle response and patrol dont really go together. They also impede flow through the radiator so you have to be careful when doing this to an engine that runs pretty hot (ZD).

The only reason a top mount is favoured is cost (much less materials) and sometimes engineering wont permit a FMIC.
I would not say that adding turbo lag would be better in every way.
Heatsoak is vastly overrated. Not really an issue at all if you run a fan.
Front mounts are more prone to damage.
Front mounts reduce the cooling efficiency of the car. This includes Oil as well as water.

·
Registered
Nissan
580 Posts
Im running a front mount in my GU, flows alot more air doesnt increase engine temps and reduce the exhaust temps its a win win...

Yes some pics would be good Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,842 Posts
I would not say that adding turbo lag would be better in every way.
Heatsoak is vastly overrated. Not really an issue at all if you run a fan.
Front mounts are more prone to damage.
Front mounts reduce the cooling efficiency of the car. This includes Oil as well as water.
Kind of sounds like you've just repeated what I already said (throttle response and cooling).

Heatsoak overrated? Couldnt disagree with you more on that, its the essence and backbone of an intercooler not being able to work efficiently.... As for fans and the worthiness, well we have had that debate before. ;)

·
Premium Member
25,771 Posts
My intercooler sits at under 50c most of the time so I would say that the fan works well.
The temp only usually goes above 50c when I am stationary so heatsoak is really only an issue when you don't need the power.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
8,969 Posts
I think you'd have to be a bit daft to go to the effort of changing from a top mount to a front mount. I don't think there'd be decent enough results to warrant its use especially when there's companies making bolt on replacement intercoolers for the GUs which work better than the factory units.

If i really wanted to blow some cash I think a water to air system would be high on the list of options....certainly well before a front mount anyway.

PS: Current vehicle has a front mount and while it is very effective I hate how there's intake pipes running large lengths through the engine bay...if I keep it long enough and I decide to blow some cash on it I might look at water to air. Or if the intercooler gets destroyed by a rouge stick or stone...there's a nasty looking dent in it already from a stone hit.

·
Premium Member
25,771 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.