Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I installed a new front panhard about a week ago. When I first tightened the chasis bolt, the bushing was flat. Now after about a week the bushing has flared out a bit.

Do you think it needs to tightened or loosened? I don't have a torque wrench so not sure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys so quick update. I was getting a weird noise from the panhard when turning. I tried loosening the bolt a little, and the noise went away.

Evidently I over tightened the bolt. Only issue is, after loosening it, the steering feels a bit wobbly. I'm concerned when I initially installed it, I over tightened the bolt which may have compressed the bracket.

Can anyone take a photo of their panhard so I can compare how much thread is exposed on the bolt?

·
Registered
nissan
150 Posts
Thread length does not equal torque setting... You should get a torque wrench, you need one if you are going to work on things like this.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
What model GU Patrol is this and Wagon or ute. If this is what it looks like to me then it is the larger type spherical bearing joint on a Series 3 or newer Wagon. If that's the case it needs to be very tight. It is not a bush as such it is a spherical bearing joint and has a crush tube through the centre that needs to be tightened up to lock it in place on the bolt and between the mounting bracket for No Movement at all otherwise it's wearing out the bolt hole to an oval shape.

The rubber that looks like a bush is not a bush but rather a rubber boot covers of the greased spherical bearing.

Point is, yes it must be tight to lock into place, and no it doesn't matter if the boot seems to change shape. It will do that as the joint moves anyway.

Lastly if it still has any movement when tight, then it might already have the holes worn out and may need repair of welding a large washer on the side to reinforce the rounded or oval hole. Don't leave it with slop it will do more damage and lead to front wheel wobbles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What model GU Patrol is this and Wagon or ute. If this is what it looks like to me then it is the larger type spherical bearing joint on a Series 3 or newer Wagon. If that's the case it needs to be very tight. It is not a bush as such it is a spherical bearing joint and has a crush tube through the centre that needs to be tightened up to lock it in place on the bolt and between the mounting bracket for No Movement at all otherwise it's wearing out the bolt hole to an oval shape.

The rubber that looks like a bush is not a bush but rather a rubber boot covers of the greased spherical bearing.

Point is, yes it must be tight to lock into place, and no it doesn't matter if the boot seems to change shape. It will do that as the joint moves anyway.

Lastly if it still has any movement when tight, then it might already have the holes worn out and may need repair of welding a large washer on the side to reinforce the rounded or oval hole. Don't leave it with slop it will do more damage and lead to front wheel wobbles.
Thanks Geordie. Yeah it's a GU 3. So when I first installed it, I did tightened is basically as tight as I could with breaker bar.

I think the torque spec is similar to a wheel nut right? So I just did it super tight. But after that it was making a knocking/crunching sound when turning at low speed.

After I loosened it, the knocking sound went away but as I said the steering feels more wobbly now. It felt really solid when it was tight.

Maybe it needs to be shortened slightly and then tightened again? Not sure though, I measured the front wheels to chasis and they're pretty much spot on.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Looking at the photo the spherical bearing joint looks like it is sitting central and not hitting the side of the bracket. That's one thing that may make noise, because of the big outer diameter of the spherical bearing joint in the Panhard rod end and that it will free up and can turn very easily. If the Panhard rod is tightened up and putting the big end a bit off centre then as the diff moves up and down it does place rotation twist on the Panhard rod and the big end hits the bracket, makes a clunk and it may even punch and cut the rubber boot covers against the bracket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at the photo the spherical bearing joint looks like it is sitting central and not hitting the side of the bracket. That's one thing that may make noise, because of the big outer diameter of the spherical bearing joint in the Panhard rod end and that it will free up and can turn very easily. If the Panhard rod is tightened up and putting the big end a bit off centre then as the diff moves up and down it does place rotation twist on the Panhard rod and the big end hits the bracket, makes a clunk and it may even punch and cut the rubber boot covers against the bracket.
Ah that explains the small tear in the rubber boot. If you look closely you can see it in the photo. Thanks heaps for you help by the way. Really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's why I think it looks strange, when I put mine in I could only tighten it up to a point the metal rod stopped the nut before the rubber squeezed out to the point yours is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@GutSquisher Media
Hmmm that's interesting.. if I remember correctly, when I installed the panhard originally that rubber boot wasn't puffed out like that. I believe I tightened it and looked normal, then after driving a few days and rechecking the boot started to bulge out like that.

Have you checked yours recently?

It is an aftermarket panhard so the bush could be trash, or I just overtightened it originally.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah I only just did. I installed a new suspension kit around 1000Km ago and rechecked all bolts just last week to make sure nothing had come adrift.

All bolts still as tight as the day I installed them no movement of any of the new bushes, it was a 2002 Patrol with 450000Km on the clock and still had all the original bushes, had to use a lot of WD40 and heat to move most of the nuts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I only just did. I installed a new suspension kit around 1000Km ago and rechecked all bolts just last week to make sure nothing had come adrift.

All bolts still as tight as the day I installed them no movement of any of the new bushes, it was a 2002 Patrol with 450000Km on the clock and still had all the original bushes, had to use a lot of WD40 and heat to move most of the nuts.
Ok fair enough. Yeah I did the same 300k on mine on original suspension, fun job 😄

1 - 15 of 15 Posts