Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
All work done the hard way
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Legends, I'm looking at tackling the front quarter panels- I have looked but I can't seem to find any hints on the best way to go about it. Apart from the plastic splash guard under the wheel arch which I've removed and replaced before, everything seems to be connected to everything else and I don't want to start before I know how big the job will be.

Specifically I am interested in the following:

1. Does the cowl panel just under the windscreen need to be removed to get the front quarters off, and if so, how is this done?
2. How do you get the plastic wheel arch mouldings/guards off? Do they in fact need to come off, to get the quarter panels off?
3. Do I need to take headlights, bullbar etc. off to access any hidden bolts or screws?
4. I have found at least one bolt facing forwards behind the door, are there any others I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help, when I do the job I'll do a nice little write-up with pics to help people like me in the future...

Cheers

Knuckles 馃挭

Edit: GU series 1 Wagon. That'll probably help.

Registered
nissan patrol
Hey Legends, I'm looking at tackling the front quarter panels- I have looked but I can't seem to find any hints on the best way to go about it. Apart from the plastic splash guard under the wheel arch which I've removed and replaced before, everything seems to be connected to everything else and I don't want to start before I know how big the job will be.

Specifically I am interested in the following:

1. Does the cowl panel just under the windscreen need to be removed to get the front quarters off, and if so, how is this done?
2. How do you get the plastic wheel arch mouldings/guards off? Do they in fact need to come off, to get the quarter panels off?
3. Do I need to take headlights, bullbar etc. off to access any hidden bolts or screws?
4. I have found at least one bolt facing forwards behind the door, are there any others I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help, when I do the job I'll do a nice little write-up with pics to help people like me in the future...

Cheers

Knuckles 馃挭

Edit: GU series 1 Wagon. That'll probably help.
Hey Knuckles,
The wiper arm need to come off by swinging the nut covers up and removing the 13mm nuts. Then remove the cowl by taking out the ****ty plastic fasteners. These can be a challenge as they are supposed to unscrew but end up being wrestled out with pliers half the time. I have left the outer one out at each end and covered the hole with aluminium tape to prevent water leaks into the air con plenum and wet floors.
The park light assembly will need to come out by removing the long stainless screw and short black screw. The light will come out by tapping with your palm towards the front of the car. I think there is a guard bolt tucked in where the park//indicator assembly sits.
If you have side steps this will need to come off to access the two bolts ay the bottom of the panel. If you are removing the passenger side and have a snorkel fitted, this is a little more work because you need to make sure there is no connection to the air box and the snorkel has been disconnected from the A pillar. Then undo the top guard bolts and the one in front of the door.
The plastic guard liner screws/bolts will need to be removed and that should be it.
You will probably find dirt and gunk built up between the guard ant the front portion of the sill panel. I ended up painting both of these after a clean up to prevent future rust.
I was also surprised at how much dirt/sand was built up inside the plastic wheel arch. A 20mm hole saw was used to make a hole at the very bottom near the mudflap so I could flush the crud out with a garden hose after a trip.
Cheers
RD

Registered
All work done the hard way
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Red Dirt, that is exakery what I was looking for. Will have a go tomorrow.(y)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts