Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G-day fellas just ordered me a set of front and rear arb airlockers are these hard to fit has any1 got instructions that uv written up whilst fitting a set? wat should i replace while iv got my diffs apart ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
69 Posts
When i put mine in, i dropped the diff's out and rebuilt both (all new seals and bearings). Easy job installing them just follow the instructions that come with the lockers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
If you havn't done anything with diffs before id leave it to the pros.
as long as you no how to set the backlash you should be rite.
replace the carrier bearings wile your there.
if the pinion bearing is buggered change that too. (but that adds alot of work)
good idea to replace all ur seals in the diffs including swivel hub seals. then you know its all new.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Change diff ratios if your runnin bigger tyres

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
Just got mine fitted yesterday
$3975.00 supplied & fitted (compressor/tyre airline kit included) by ARB
Neat job compressor under front p/side seat
Fingers crossed they keep working with no problems
Cheap little suckers arnt they

·
Registered
nissan patrol
831 Posts
Am just wondering if it's really worth putting a locker in the rear if your gunna have one in the front as well?Dont you lose the LSD?Is it going to make that much difference than front locker & rear LSD?
Sorry,i know it's off the subject, but just curious.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
just make sure you do all your measurements before you strip the diff, you will need a bearing puller & press...when you put it back together make SURE your back lash is right (should be in instructions) dont have the feed line where it will bind or wear through, use bearing blue to ensure you pick up the correct toe, heal, face & flank. (this isnt to hard) we fit plenty at work, just take your time as long as you mechanicaly minded you should be OK) dont rush getting the back lash perfect!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mate iv been in spots thinking the lsd is gunna work but they dont work all the time especially steep rocky trails and it tiks me off when only 1 wheel is spinning and i get stuck at least this way just a flick of a switch all fours r gunna be turning no matter wat.....

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Dont you lose the LSD?
Yes you do lose LSD - the car is effectively on open diffs at each end when you have dual lockers. It means you need to engage the rear for any terrain that might see you lifting a rear wheel (or dropping one or both into mud) but then you don't need to turn the front one on very often.

A set of KM2s appears to be a cheap and effective alternative to lockers, though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts