Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Front Speakers GQ ST Patrol

16K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Bruza 2 
#1 ·
Just wondering how you guys have put 6.5" speakers in the front doors of your patrol.

I have an ST model which has the electric windows/lock facia that is all one piece over the speaker area.

Cheers,
Dan

#2 ·
the good news

its possible

the bad news

you wont get them in the stock position. very few to no speakers have a shallow enough magnet to clear the channel for the window

heres where i have mine

#4 · (Edited)
#7 ·
its only 3mm mdf and some speaker box carpet lol. made a template with the stock door trim, and used the other bits off the old trim (armrest etc) and put on the new one

#8 ·
mate ur on the right track, cut the rest of the original speaker trim away then cut an 18mm craftwood ring to the same shape as the original speaker grill. then vinyl it, thats wat i do at work on the odd occasion i see one.

#10 ·
This is what I did.. It takes practice, is time consuming but you can end up with a nice result if you do spend the time..
Start by using cardboard to make a template of how big an what shape you want your pod/door card to be, then use a jigsaw to cut it out. I used 9mm mdf. You also need to source some speaker pods $50 and some vinyl enough to cover your whole pod for both doors.

Then strip the pods of their factory vinyl and remove the glue.

Use some PVA and screw the Pod to the MDF. Also test fit it to the car to make sure you are not installing it too low or too far forwards. Height is an issue as if it is too low you will be kicking the speaker and forwards is an issue because of the dashboard placement!
Once you are completely happy with position, start bogging!!! Use car body filler to smooth out where the pod joins the board.

Once you have bogged one and you're waiting for it to dry, start on the second one!!
When the bog has completely dried on the first one Sand Sand Sand!!! (my most hated part) make sure you wear a mask!!!!
Sand back with rough stuff and finish with some really fine wet and dry. Clean up all the edges and if you have window winders like me you may need to shamfer the wood right down aswell as the back of the window winder to stop it fouling you finished vinyl! Can't stress enough that final prep makes your vinyl look good or bad so take you time and make sure everything is silky smooth!

Once you are happy you need to get your contact adhesive and heat gun ready (on a warm not hot setting) and starting from the face ofthe speaker pod apply the adhesive working away from the pod. The key here is waiting for the adhesive to go tacky, before applying the vinyl!!!!
Cut a SMALL cross in the middle of the speaker opening to help it stretch and using the heat gun heat the vinyl into the dips and creases. This is the bit that takes alot of practice and I'm sorry I don't have more pics of it! You will end up with some wrinkly ball bag looking vinyl you need to hide behind the pod against the door jam. Very had to avoid this excess of vinyl
Anyways end product should look something like this, hopefully without bubbles.

I took these photos and never got around to doing much with them I will head out now and get a better shot of the finished pod with my nice new focals installed but this is a start!
Have fun!!

#11 ·
As you can see I have still never gotten around to putting caps I've the screw i used to secure the whole door card to te door itself! Also forgot to mention I used the contact adhesive and some tiny screws to fix the new pod to the old door card as well as the three large screws that help to hold the whole lot to the door!

And this is the wrinkly scrotum vinyl I was talking about that you need to hide behind the pod

#12 ·
I have these speakers that should be a direct fit for the front of a GQ. 42mm mounting depth, as thin as it gets... I still need to mount mine so can't confirm yet, will let you know soon (maybe tomorrow). If it works it'd be way easier than anything previously posted...

Pioneer USA - TS-G1642R - 6½" 2-Way Speaker with 180 Watts Max. Power

Cheers,
Mr. D

#14 ·
If it helps, I have a 91 GQ TI with electric windows, the JVC 6" speakers fitted in behind factory grill with out any issues.

#15 ·
I would say necessity is in the eye of the beholder.. With these door cards comes added rigidity and a lower resonance point that the somewhat feeble GQ doors do not offer in standard form. If all you want is to listen to the wireless or maybe turn the subwoofa up reel loud!!!! Then this is not the solution for you.. On the other hand If you enjoy sound quality you would spend the time and effort.

#18 ·
and what about rear speakers whats everyone done for them? i have brand new 6x9 that i cant seam to fit anywhere and the rear doors are out of the question??

#19 ·
I have 6x9's in my rear doors. Just got a couple of cheap plastic spacers for about $12. They look neat enough and besides, they are hidden from view in the very back. Have no problem with resonating either and I have a 10" sub next to them.

#23 ·
Here's an alternative.

Architecture Door Metal

Used ply for base, as hate mdf. Learned to fiberglass off the net.

Wood Audio equipment

Sort of line up with the original lol.

Lock Vehicle door

Painted inside skin with tar stuff, then glued in sound stuff (double layer behind speakers) from Clarks. Sound is awesome, and door shut sound is more like a Porsche lol.

Speakers are the 'top of the range' that JBL had on offer at the time.

Car Vehicle Auto part Vehicle door Engine

Vehicle door Auto part Vehicle Car Engine

#24 ·
the front speakers should placed where they're mean't to be placed in their 'stock' position, the speakers were designed for this spot in the door and work the best. i.e with the hole cut out in the metal door frame. this was said to me by a couple of different fitters and such the reason im making custom pods where the plastic moulding currently is. this is in my 93 ST. i'll put pics of it up when its finished.

#29 ·
got a set of vs comodore door pod's with map pocket and made them fit
That does look fair tidy i wouldnt mind pockets either. How did u bolt it on just with cap head bolts or tek screws enlighten me please

#30 ·
screwed from behind into the door pod screw holes, if u get them get whole door trim and the black spacer the speeker sits in, then remove factory pocket sit comodore trim in rite spot n cut hole in patrol trim screw it on and mount it up, tok me bot 2 hrs to do first one and hr for other

#31 ·
i just had a look in my car do they foul on the drivers seat at all?

Oh so use the old commo one as a template. yeah is that wat u mean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.