Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 1985 MK LWB SD33 N/A
Over time the wheel bearings have worn my stub axles so that you cannot remove axial wheel play without over-tightening the bearings. I have not been able to source any second hand ones in NZ. The local Nissan dealer was unable to help either.

Does anyone know if these are still available and where I might get them. I was hoping that 86+ models might fit but no-one around here knows.

Any other options out there?

Thanks,
Myles
Cromwell NZ

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
neRok,
yes #30 is correct. Mine have quite a lot of slop when you sit a bearing on them and have obvious signs of wear (scoring, blueing, obvious lip with the part adjacent).

The only way to remove the slop is to tighten the bearings so they sit hard against the rear of the part and don't rely on the horizontal bit to hold them still. This work fine when you lift the wheel and wriggle to check play but is less effective when it's actually on the ground.

Myles

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
My guess is your only option is to buy another front diff and pull what you need off it.

Another possibility is take your stub axles and bearings to a bearing joint and get some bearings the 'next size down' (with a smaller ID), and then get the stub axle machined to suit.

·
Registered
nissan
175 Posts
If you really want a replacement its still worth contacting nizzbits or a nissan parts dealer, quite a few parts are still available on order from japan if your willing to sell a body part

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
neRok,
yes #30 is correct. Mine have quite a lot of slop when you sit a bearing on them and have obvious signs of wear (scoring, blueing, obvious lip with the part adjacent).

The only way to remove the slop is to tighten the bearings so they sit hard against the rear of the part and don't rely on the horizontal bit to hold them still. This work fine when you lift the wheel and wriggle to check play but is less effective when it's actually on the ground.

Myles
I've had motorctcle cranks with similar problems to what you have described. They were repaired by hard chroming and machining. Check some engine reco specislists in your area to see if its possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts