Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
Just wondering what you guys do with front sway bar when you go away 4x4 and camping
Do you disconnect it before leaving and run the trip with it disconnected till you get home
Or do you disconnec it once you hit the dirt and re-connect it when you on your way home?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
I don't run a front sway bar at all. Run a rear sway bar all of the time for balance.

Rear has a far bigger effect on road handling as well.

·
Registered
nissan
1,181 Posts
I often load stuff on my roof basket, so with a 2" lift as well, I thought it best to run both my swaybars all the time, i think most people decide they want them on or off, and go with that choice 24/7.

I broke a rear link pin on Fraser, flex was a little better, but i hardly noticed a difference in normal road driving, i think the absence of a swaybar would be most noticable in a swerve type maneuver.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
have never disconnected sway bar ever & I do some pretty hard 4bing!

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys
Just wanting a little more flex in the front end for the next trip that's all
Might try the trip with it out and see how she goes

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
put it in the bin its the best place 4 it. the rear does 90% of the work

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you know crawlin under the car yesterday made me wonder what it even did because i can literally movie it 10mm side to side... haha

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Fronts As useful as fencing wire.
But I don't run any, but will be putting rear on when I get my factory sway bar mod done. Not because it's unstable with normal driving but just for safety if I swerve for something at highway speeds.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
154 Posts
the rear is a must if u have half a big lift. i had none with a 5'' and 35's for over a year without 1 and looking back now im a knob for not doing at the start.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
10 Posts
I have 3" lift ,35's and a roof rack and i only run one in the rear all the time and not in the front i have tried it with the rear out as well but it felt uncomfy on and off road and the front did not flex as well as with the rear one in so i have left it in and i do alot of touring as well as some hard core 4wheelin and i find it works fine for me my truck is also fairly heavy.

regards

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with the 4" lift do you get a lot of shaking? ever feel like its gonna tip over?

cheers, just removed the front and bout to go fill up, hope goes alright haha

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I don't run a front sway bar at all. Run a rear sway bar all of the time for balance.

Rear has a far bigger effect on road handling as well.
x2 :p

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
4'' sus
2'' body
35''s No sway bars. No worries. You hardly even notice the differance. no probelm swerving or conering at all. I bet i could turn quicker and safer then most people with a stock patrol.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
2005 GU 4.2, was with 2" lift but now 4". never had a front sway bar on after the first trip.
Not only do you get better front flex without the front bar, but if you do lots of corrugations (ie SA desert, cape york, whereever) you'll find its waaaaaay smoother with no front sway bar.

I have left the rear sway bar on as it doesnt inhibit flex at all and does help on road handling.

·
Registered
nissan
557 Posts
Hi Guys,

help me out here, because I think that the terminology is confusing me.
What exactly is a front sway bar?
Is it the long bar that connects across both wheels right at the front with the steering damper attached to it. Right in front of the diff.
Often called a drag link or stabiliser link.

The bent one in the picture below

Thanks

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
No, the front sway bar (aka anti-roll bar) is mounted to the diff housing itself in two places, and at each end makes a 90 degree turn to terminate at the swaybar links - which in turn mount to the chassis. Its function is to limit bodyroll when cornering and it is the only suspension component that can effectively perform this function.

I broke my LH rear swaybar mount (stock, with ARB 2" spacer bracket to suit my OME lift) when stuffing around at Glasshouse Mtns and I can't stand how it handles on-road without it - anyone who reckons a Patrol handles well with no rear swaybar must drive like a granny, or never gets off freeways. With swaybars connected my Patrol is a hell of a lot more fun on a windy road than either my Territory or my VT Berlina with FE2 suspension. Without the rear connected it is a big sloppy pig of a thing to corner in.

I replaced them with Nolathane 50mm extended rear swaybar links and on my first offroad drive I ripped the LH link's lower eyelet open... they are made of cheese, stay away from them. Back to Repco for money back. I'm currently waiting for my replacements from RoadrunnerOffroad4x4 (ebay):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REAR-Sway-Ba...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a421e6bd

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Hi Guys,

help me out here, because I think that the terminology is confusing me.
What exactly is a front sway bar?
Is it the long bar that connects across both wheels right at the front with the steering damper attached to it. Right in front of the diff.
Often called a drag link or stabiliser link.

The bent one in the picture below

Thanks
No, that bent bar is a Drag link.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts