Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gidday all.
Just after a bit of help. I have noticed that on my GU wagon the front drivers side tyre is starting to show heel and toe wear on the inside. This is only on the inside row of tread. They are Coopers ST. The passengers side is showing no signs of wear. Just wondering where to start to find what is causing this. I have raised up the front and have no play in the drives side wheel when trying to shake it from top to bottom and side to side. Also I have a slight wobble in the steering wheel which has always come and gone but now seems more frequent.

Where do I start before i spend too much money on fixes that are not fixing the problem? I have it booked in for a wheel alignment but I do not think this is the cause.

Thanks all
roadkill

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,028 Posts
Measure between your axles on both sides of the car to check that everything is square. The sort of wear you describe can be caused when the rear axle is not square across the car. The only way to fix it that I'm aware of is with adjustable lower arms.

Cheers,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

IPCH. My missus drives the car more than me but we do live in a rural area where the roads are not the best. Mostly potholes and ruts. I know i have hit a few but do you think that this could bend a patrol axle?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Overboard
This wear has only happened over the last 5000ks. I service the patrol every 5000ks and did not notice any wear on the last service. At every service i check everything, even down to going around and checking the tension of the wheel nuts. I am a bit overcautious (almost anal) because the missus and the kids use the car more than me so i want it to be reliable.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Hi, I've noticed a similar thing happening to my GU.

I'm blaming the bearings at the moment as they have a bit of movement. ( I'll be replacing them next week)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let us know what happens brenoMQ.
I am going to get a wheel alignment first and then check the king pin bearings.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
When I am stuck working in the city, I tend to get much worse front tyre wear on the heel of tread blocks on both iner and outer edges (probably more the outer edge). I think this is particularly from hard cornering on bitumin and lots of roundabouts.

Long country touring trips see the front wear about even with the rear.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update
I have changed all of the bearings in the front in regards to the swivel hubs and the wheel bearings. All of the old bearings were in good order with no excessive wear. I have had a wheel alignment and the only adjustment was to the toe in /out.This was only out by 1 mm.
I have changed the shocks today so I will see how this goes.
roadkill

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
If you are playing around with the front end.....
A bit of information.... consider having your CAMBER angles set as close to -.5 deg on the left and + .5 deg on the right with a zero to .5mm toe in.
Caster at somewhere around 3.5 to 4 deg should be fine.......all reports with respect to the above figures equals no pulling to the left and no wobble.

For the Camber fix, Pro Axle appears to be all the go..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts