Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to re-pack the front wheel bearing again. the bearings are still OK. all i need is to get the bearing hub seal. anyone know where to buy a pair? Last time i bought from Mr. Nissan. but it was quiet expensive. i looked at the ebay, lots of 'kit' for sale ( bearings, seals, etc). but all i need is a pair of hub seals.....anyone know where to get them?

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Just knock it out with the old bearing and reuse it. They will go a couple of hundred thousand kays.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Email our own Nizzbits (Garry) for a quote, he does excellent prices and quick delivery, [email protected]

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
Nissan
133 Posts
I just got a pair from Nizzbits for my GU. $30ea.

Great service and delivered fast. Highly recommended.

I hadn't done GU bearings before and am really not sure if I'd be able to get that seal off without stuffing it.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts

I hadn't done GU bearings before and am really not sure if I'd be able to get that seal off without stuffing it.
You just tap the inner race of the inner bearing and it pops out totally undamaged.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

mate, it is very easy to remove the old grease hub seal, but when installing it, be sure to have a right size socket and slowly and evenly to push it in ....

·
Registered
Nissan
133 Posts
cool, I had new ones sitting there so I didn't even try.

I'll give it a go in 40K when they are due again. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
$13 each from Repco part number 402888N. They'll try and push a higher price first up but that's what i pay and I'm not in the trade.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Put a grease nipple in the hub while it's apart.
Last time I did my bearings I didn't pack the new bearings, just put the hub on with the lock nuts then pump it full of grease. You'll see the grease squeezing out through the outer bearing when it's full. Makes the job a lot cleaner and you can give them a couple of pumps every 5k or so.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Last time I did my bearings I didn't pack the new bearings, just put the hub on with the lock nuts then pump it full of grease. You'll see the grease squeezing out through the outer bearing when it's full. Makes the job a lot cleaner and you can give them a couple of pumps every 5k or so.
my next job :)

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my next job :)
i saw some really old trucks had such kind of nipples for pumping in grease. however, do you need to drill a hole on the hub? would it change the 'balance of the wheel? or it is just too small to worry about? if pump grease in could it be too much grease in there (i heard somewhere that too much grease may not be good?) there that can push the inner hub seals out? or damage that seal ?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
do you have a picture where about to drill and install the nipple? and the spec of the nipple used? will something like this work?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Land-Rov...31?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c88f9349b

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts

Nipple needs to be at least this long so you can get the grease gun on it. You will need to grind a flat spot on both sides of of the grease gun connector to get it to fit between the wheel hub and the disc. Or get some longer grease nipples.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Nipple needs to be at least this long so you can get the grease gun on it. You will need to grind a flat spot on both sides of of the grease gun connector to get it to fit between the wheel hub and the disc. Or get some longer grease nipples.
thanks for the info mate, it is really helpful . i will give it a try after coming back from ski trip next week.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got a pair of hub seals. just wondering if any one has made a tool to install the seal ? last time i managed to use an old pipe. but it was pretty hard to make the seal in. the OD is 88mm. i cannot find such a big socket. any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have re-packed my front bearing and seals today. after 48,000km, both bearings/ grease and the old seals are still in very good condition. looks like if i dont do mud or go under the water, the service can extend to 50,000km or lot more.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts

Am curious as to why you used a nipple with an interference fit rather than "normal" threaded

what vehicle were these off? Most of the long ones I've come across are for Discos or P38 range rovers and I think they'd still come up a bit short.

also curious as to whether you have found any wheel balancing issues cropping up

1 - 20 of 24 Posts