Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was out bush this morning and pulled up to lock my front wheels on my gq y60 maverick 4.2 petrol and the lock chuck/key thing was red hot on both sides and the rear were red hot aswell.

they were not allready in the lock position, they were on free.

Does this mean that possibly my wheel bearings are gone ?

i got home, let it cool down and went for a 5min drive, and they were red hot again.

they are heating up very quickly.

pleease let me know if anyone has had similar problems.

thanks

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Could be your calipers dragging (i.e. rebuild all your calipers), could be all your bearings need replacing, or even they just need grease (but if they need grease they are probably flogged out anyway and should be replaced). Some heat in the front hubs isn't unusual.

At the extreme you could have a weird brake problem with your booster.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh sweet was hopeing just to get new bearings.
will be looking at the calipers but i dont think they are dragging. all brakes appear and seem to be fine. Were looked into by my mechanic a few weeks ago so could see it being brakes.

will be buying a set of bearings asap.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brakes might have been fine weeks ago but the slides can sieze up or the piston can sieze in no time at all.....then again u usually feel it slow the car down by itself or pull to one side but still worth rechecking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'd be thinking brakes with the amount of heat you're describing. You would think the bearings would have to be making a noticeable noise if they were that stuffed.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
My money is on the calipers. I make a habit of checking my hubs after a drive to see if they are hot or if there is a noticeable temp difference from one side to the other. It would not hurt to pull the front rotors, check the wheel bearings, repack them and put in new seals.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Have had the same on my Dads MQ and the wheel bearings were shot and also on my GQ it was at the stage where the wheel had movement. Had to just clean and repack. and also dont go for a too thick of a grease as the thicker the hotter they will run try not to get a grease with a base oil viscosity over 220 at 40deg C, if you want to check the viscosity check on your favorite grease manufacturers website they should have all the specs for there grease

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
most likely the calipers, raise the wheel and try turn it without the hadbrake on and in neutral. then remove the brake pads a do it again. if the wheel rotates alot easier then its definately the caliper piston getting stuck and not the wheel bearing.

I had to remove my caliper and hammer out the piston. gave the inside of the bore a good clean and sanded down any grit on the piston with some fine sand paper. Remember to buy a seal kit if you seals are shot. (super cheap at $50 bucks a caliper) then when pushing the piston back in smear some brake fluid in the bore and around the piston, make sure its straight and use a c clamp and a old brake pad to compress it back in. It should go in easier than it came out. if it taking alot force to get it in line it up again and try again. done

Hint. make sure you bleed the brakes after and do all four wheels to get rid of any air bubbles. make sure you have brake fluid ready.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts