Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4x4
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has made one or bought one.

I have a rhino rack full length on car, at the rear i have a space case that is as wide as the rack, and spare wheel. as you can guess, when driving at highway speeds the wind pressure is great, which means more fuel usage.

i have been looking on the net to see whats available, so far ive come up empty, has anyone made a deflector that sits on the front of the rack?

when i go on long drives (camping) ill have the rhino bag on the roof which will work as a deflector, but looking for something i can buy, or easily make to do the job whilst pottering around town and day treks that's easy to put up take down.

I thought of some plywood with a bracket to hold it up, but unsure if the wind would be too strong for that, thought about metal but thinking maybe to heavy to take down when not needed.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
I'd suggest alloy sheet, I had a piece of 3mm 400mm high across the front of my old roof rack, it worked really well.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
I just went to an engineering joint that worked with aluminium and got them to make one and tech screwed it on

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
460 Posts
don't have pics here, will chuck one up later, I made my own roof rack, the front sides were angled back, I followed this line with the alloy sheet, and had a cross brace at the top.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Since I know a thing or two about stuff like computational fluid dynamics and I have had some very bored episodes at work lately I plugged some very basic models and it came up that if I stuffed around doing a front spoiler in front of the roof rack, that everything else was so wrong aerodynamically I dont need to bother when doing highway speeds

We just need to accept our vehicles have the aerodynamics of a flying brick and get on with it

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
417 Posts
I just went to an engineering joint that worked with aluminium and got them to make one and tech screwed it on
Photo.?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
This is what I had made IMAG0193.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Since I know a thing or two about stuff like computational fluid dynamics and I have had some very bored episodes at work lately I plugged some very basic models and it came up that if I stuffed around doing a front spoiler in front of the roof rack, that everything else was so wrong aerodynamically I dont need to bother when doing highway speeds

We just need to accept our vehicles have the aerodynamics of a flying brick and get on with it
Haha yep that's about it I reckon!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I had a sheet of perspex on the front of my TJM rack on the GQ - it was vertical but extended down almost to roof level.

I didn't really notice any difference BUT when I took it off the rack after a bird strike wrecked it I noticed a distinct increase in wind noise.

And the Tracklander I've got on the GU has a 'spoiler' on the front and there is very little wind noise with the rack on.

FWIW

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
495 Posts
I put my Maxtrax up there. doubt that it does much as a wind deflector, but it keeps a lot of the bugs of the gear and roof top tent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Before I put these pieces in the solar panel would get wind under it at flap about.
I also had an mq shorty I built a canopy and built a deflector that came down to the windscreen and pop riveted it there so there was no gap at all and have to say if there is even a 30mm gap between the bottom of a deflector and the roof and doesn't follow the curve of the roof the advantages will be very minimal

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan gu 4.2tdi 2003
426 Posts
i made three roof bars, two for the RTT and an adjustable wind deflector for the third! 6mm Polycarbonate sheet, its about 5 years old so looking a bit tired and ready for replacement. works well and you can feel the difference without it with the tent on.Michael

1 - 20 of 21 Posts